Modding other cables (UE) to work with Shure's iPhone cord
Aug 24, 2007 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Julien

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone looked at modifying their cables to fit with the new Shure iPhone (and other phones) cable. Using UE's I would like to have the cable cut to just below the Y and a straight jack installed. Any chance UE would do this?

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 7
I sent UE an e-mail a couple weeks ago about either offering an iphone compatible cable or modding an existing one.

I have not gotten a response.

Maybe a phone call might get an answer.

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent UE an e-mail a couple weeks ago about either offering an iphone compatible cable or modding an existing one.

I have not gotten a response.

Maybe a phone call might get an answer.

I have got conflicting info from UE about an iPhone cable. In an email I received the following response."...In regards to the iphone cable we are in the process of designing a new cord specifically for the iphone and it will have a built in mic and the correct angled plug. This should be available in Late August to Early September..."

While on the phone inquiring about my UE-11's I was told they had no plans to release the cable. Although I was told about a month before the release of the UE-11's that there were no plans to release them.

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 7
I just talked to customer service rep at UE who told me that an iPhone cable is definitely in the works, but may not be released for another "2 to 3 months."

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 7
I have an old UE cable that I may cut below the Y and try to solder a 1/8 jack on it. If this works I may then order a black cord and operate on it. My 11'ws will be here tomorrow and I don't like using my home made 6" adaptor.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 7
I believe they plan to issue a separate product for the iPhone, not an accessory. In other words they will make a new headphone with iPhone plug and inline mike, but not an accessory cord that will work with existing UE products, custom or otherwise.

At least that's what they told me! I suppose their plans may have changed but that's what they told me a couple of weeks ago.

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm interested in doing this for my Yuin PK2s, I think they would be perfect for making/receiving calls. Has anyone done this? If not, does anyone have suggestions on how to reterminate the cable to a relatively small connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back