Modding HD 25?
Jun 14, 2008 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tianuk3

New Head-Fier
I have heard about many people "modding" the HD 25 headphones, by changing the eartips, cables.etc

Can anyone list the modifications (common if there are many), how to make them, and what they do? As I'm just about to receive my HD 25, and want to make them as good as possible (want very good bass.etc)

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Just put an $11 HD650 cable on them and enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

FYI - if bass is what you're looking for, these may not be your cans. According to the Headroom response graphs, these are among the flatest responding all the way down to 20Hz. The problem is, most cans considered to have "good bass" have a huge mid-bass hump that may peak as much as 5-7 dB higher than the HD25 in the same region.

The HD25's are very revealing, world-class cans, but bass monsters they're not.

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

FYI - if bass is what you're looking for, these may not be your cans. According to the Headroom response graphs, these are among the flatest responding all the way down to 20Hz. The problem is, most cans considered to have "good bass" have a huge mid-bass hump that may peak as much as 5-7 dB higher than the HD25 in the same region.

Don't know about the HD-25 but the HD-25-1 II is definitely not a flat-sounding phone to my ears, with quite bassy and less detail-resolving presentation relative to its HD-580/-6xx sibling.

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree the HD-25 is not a bass monster, but as a BASSHEAD I can say that they don't disappoint. The bass is tight and controlled, very present and it goes very deep, but it doesn't overpower the other frequencies.

I did the hd650 cable and the velour pads, but I switched back to the pleather pads because I needed the isolation. I figured if I start sweating it's time to take them off.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the HD-25 is not a bass monster, but as a BASSHEAD I can say that they don't disappoint. The bass is tight and controlled, very present and it goes very deep, but it doesn't overpower the other frequencies.

I did the hd650 cable and the velour pads, but I switched back to the pleather pads because I needed the isolation. I figured if I start sweating it's time to take them off.

What exactly does the HD650 do?

Ah, shame about the bass...wanted a really strong bass, but hopefully these will do fine :). im a bit of a basshead myself (love hip hop and drum and bass).... but to be fair... i had the HD280 before and they had terrible bass, so as long as these are a big improvement

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 6
The hd650 cable gave me more extended highs and less collapsed soundstage, it sounds like they opened up a little. Take into consideration that I liked mine to begin with, the new cable made them slightly better but don't expect miracles either.
Another thing is that mine took forever to burn in, I had had them for a long time when one day they started sounding a lot better. Don't ask me how many hours but it was a long time
biggrin.gif

What do you want these for? I use mine as portables unamped, when I want bigger bass and more soundstage I use amped dt770, which may fulfill your basshead wishes.

Let us know what you think of yours when you get them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back