Modding for soundstage?!? (starting with drivers only)
Jul 20, 2009 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ZeNmAc

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I've done some mods to my KSC55 drivers, the usual stuff, but I've been wanting to get them to a point where I can use them for gaming.

Any advice on how to increase the sound stage the most? Will tilting the earcups at an angle help? I'm looking for both sound stage and positioning.

Right now there is a lot of bass, some sibilance and somewhat recessed mids. Would adding some resistance help? How much should I add?

I have them in a MDF-like piece of wood about 4" in diameter with some circumaural pads. I used an old headband from some sony headphones, but the piece where it connects to the earcups was kind of small, so the drivers are almost in a port.

erg...fine I'll post a pic.Attachment 18826

Right now they are like this only with a wire mesh mod, rca cable endings, some heatshrink on the cable ends, and some homemade circumaural pads. Is the port behind the driver bad? I would've liked to have it flare out, but I'd have to re-make the earcups and find a new headband.

Considering I entirely re-make these, how would I get the biggest, or most accurate soundstage? I'd eventually like to use them on the B channel of my speaker amp, so adding resistance is no problem.

Thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back