modding for SACD?
Sep 7, 2004 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I keep reading about these types of topics.

From what I can understand, you can buy some CD players (not all) and mod them to be SACD compatible. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or article on the subject or just post some info about it.

Some questions I'd like to seek out:
Is this a DIY subject?
What does it cost?
Is there a hardware upgrade involved?
Is there a firmware upgrade involved?

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 3
Sorry, never heard of modding a redbook cd player to be able to play SACD's. The difference in architecture, etc wouldn't be worth it vs buying a new cheaper SACd player out there, but as i said I'm not aware of this mod. The mods most are talking about are:
a) modding your cd player so it's redbook output is so much more analog sounding it sounds LIKE SACD;
b) modding an SACD player to improve both redbook and SACD sound. I've done this route. I have a Sony SCD-XA777ES and a Scott Nixon TubeDac+ but decided to go the modroute and bought a "cheaper" Sony 999ES SACD/DVD player and had Dan Wright (modwright.com) give it his signature Platiunum upgrade. Tonight marks the 200 hour burn-in anniversary so I'll finally crank it up and be able to compare it to the 777ES for SACD and the TubeDAc+ for redbook. My hope is to sell both latter products.

Modders that have good reputations include Dan Wright, Allen Wright, Richard Kern, Matthew Anker and the folks at Audience, to name a few. There are others but don't come to mind as easily.

Ted_B

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 3
Oh, that's all modding is about. OK, that'ss logical now
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back