Modding a hd 650 cable
Aug 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fcpchop88

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, this is my first post/thread over here in the DIY section. I have a pair of senns hd 25-II headphones with the stock hd650 cable that I would like to mod. I would like to terminate it shorter and with a 3.5mm plug instead. I don't have any experience with soldering so I will have my father who has experience with soldering do it. I was planning on using a switchcraft http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=770 right angle plug for it, I hear they have plenty of room for soldering and fitting the bulky wires of the hd650 cable. I like the look of the techflex expandable polyester sleeving but what size should I get for the bulky two-wire setup for the hd650? The sizes range from 3/8" to 1.5". I would also like to get a shrink tube but not sure of the size as well. Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 6
nobody knows what size sleeving and shrink tube i would need for the hd650 cable?

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 6
(Disclaimer: I never DIY'd a Senn cable before)

I use 1/8" techflex for my Canare & Mogami cables. They are expandable so it's not too important what size you use. The smaller the size, the more they will expand and show the colour of the actual cable inside. Can get some nice colour effects that way.

I use several different sizes of heatshrink depending on the situation. Again it does not need to be exact. Just look for one that is slightly larger than the cable you will be shrinking it over. A simple ruler should be enough to get a good size estimate. Also take into account the diameter of your plug. Maybe get one size for the plug, and another for the cable.

Heatshrink comes in various ratios. Higher ratios (those greater than 2:1) will shrink more, and can be handy for when you forget to insert the heatshink before soldering the wires to the plug. (D'oh!) However, the resulting tube walls may be thicker.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 6
thanks I appreciate the advice

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 6
I wouldn't put techflex sleeving over the cable.  It's pretty stiff and makes the cable inflexible.  I'm assuming you're going to be using the headphones on the go and that's why you want to shorten the cable (and switch to a 3.5mm plug).  It looks pretty and all but I don't really think it's worth it.  It'll be good to experiment for yourself though - it might not bother some people.  

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 6
yea I kinda wondered about maybe being too stiff, seeing as its pretty cheap I think that's a great idea to experiment with it to see what I think of it before I put it on, thanks for the input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back