modded soundcard or Spdif to HTS?
May 14, 2008 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

athenaesword

500+ Head-Fier
hi all!

currently i have my computer connected to an LG home theatre system via 3.5" to RCA.

i'm considering getting a Toslink cable for the connection, which is the cheap option and would use the HT's dac.
OR
I'm thinking of getting an Xtrememusic and modding its capacitors and opamp based on
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ho...75/index5.html

thing is i don't know what kind of dac the HT has... so i don't know what kind of sound quality it will produce. Does anyone know if HT systems normally come with good internal dacs or are cards/external dacs usually better options?

ps. i'm going for modded xtrememusic instead of ext dac because i can get a good deal on it, just not sure if i'm wasting money if HTs normally come with good dacs enough to just use spdif.

May 15, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 4
in that case, if i use the xtrememusic, what kind of cables would i be running from the card to the HT receiver? there's no 6chan input on the HT.
and if i were to use the card, would i still be using the internal amp on the HT system? or would the xtrememusic do the amplification.

*my apologies if these questions are noobish! cus that's what i am regarding these things for now really =]

May 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 4
If you routed the analogue output from the soundcard to the decoder, you'll still be using the decoder's onboard analogue output, so you might as well try the optical link and see how you like the sound.

If you want to compare the two sources' analogue stages, you might as well just pipe the stereo out to a headamp and do some critical comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back