Modded HD500s
Dec 1, 2001 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
I have HD500s from a while ago, and I just modded them as Head-Wize did in their article. I didn't try the mesh mod, but the tape mod, I simply taped up all the little holes under the foam cusions, I tried tape over the center of the plastic wheel over the transducers, but I took it off shortly, because of the severe loss of treble. I figured, if I tape some of the holes under the cusions, maybe if I do them all it will sound even better... Well, now they are modded... the bass is "kick you in the side" bass, but sadly, it's midbass
frown.gif
. And it's not very tight, but more tight than the unmodded ones, which were more like the "Ughff" bass, and "whump" bass, haha. These are now very warm, I mean very warm. They extend much deeper now into the low end it seems, well somewhat atleast... They do seem to have deeper bass though, and a good bit tighter. The low mids are upped a bit it seems. I say give it a try and see for yourself. I am listening to Jodeci - Lately, it has a gargantuan bass line around 60hz I guess, and boy, I can feel the skin on my ears vibrate. I just went back and read the article, which says that if you tape all of the holes, the bass becomes huge... I think that they are better than the original unmodded cans, and reach down deeper, but that may be it, I am not sure, I need to stop rambling and go to sleep.........

Dec 1, 2001 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 9
The mod makes the 500s sound even warmer? And they are listenable? I like a slightly warm sound, but that is absolutely excessive. Compared to anything, they just don't compare. Although, they can out out loads and loads and loads of bass, if you like, and if they can play even more with the mod, I guess that makes them the duhm-bass headphones of choice.

My KSC-50s sound a world better then the HD500s in everything except an imaging advantage to the 500s.

Dec 1, 2001 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 9
Although, they can out out loads and loads and loads of bass, if you like, and if they can play even more with the mod, I guess that makes them the duhm-bass headphones of choice.

My KSC-50s sound a world better then the HD500s in everything except an imaging advantage to the 500s. [/B][/QUOTE]

Pretty much, I kind of like them in the evening or to impress those (Street style) behind the head kids, haha, they are always a sucker for bass
tongue.gif
wink.gif
They do extend pretty far down into the bass though. If you have some HD500's give it a try, you can always undo it in a few minutes

Dec 1, 2001 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 9
I think I am the only other person on this board that made the mistake of buying those damn things. I would have been so much better off with 495s.
frown.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm about to say something I'm not proud of. About a year ago I bought the HD-500s simply to mod them, and acheive the amazing sound described in the article. Boy was I disappointed
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah I don't know what that guy in the article was smoking... They sounded a little better with the tape mod, I think somewhat, and I guess maybe the metal mod, but I mean, not that great......
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back