Modded A900's - review
Mar 1, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #16 of 30
Thanks for the review/guide. My opinion currently of my A700s is pretty similar, and it sounds like this mod may be worthy option if I feel so inclined at some point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 30
Just finished up with this mod and I have to say that it realy does improve the mids. My biggest complaint with the A900s was the mids felt kinda recessed and this brought them much more forward. I'll post some pics and a longer review later, and hopefully once I have the pics up I can be sure I did everything right.

Mar 2, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #18 of 30
Yes, after the mods the mids are just as forward as the bass, while the highs are still a little bit more forward than the mids (just barely). IMO they sound MUCH nicer after the mod, especially if you like female vocals.

One other thing you can do to increase bass impact is to increase the clamping force on the earcups. I found this worked well on my K271's, and works almost as well on the a900's. Basically it consists of twisting the headband so that the earcups are back to back (metal to metal) instead of cushion to cushion. Simply grab the earcups and pull them. It makes the headphone look like a weird cursive letter w. You have to use a bit of force in order to re-shape the 2 metal wires in the headband so that it increases pressure on the cups on your head.

I wish I had a camera, it would be easy to show, but it's hard to explain in words. If you have a regular sized or small sized head, it definitely increases bass because the earcups form a tighter seal with the side of your head, plus it moves the drivers a tiny bit closer to your ears.

Just be VERY careful that you don't put stress on the headband "wings" as they can and will break.

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #19 of 30
is it possible that this mod is a matter of taste? i ask only because i invested in a pair of flats for my grado 225's and found that i preferred the bowls. i'm interested in trying this mod but it doesn't sound too reversible.

i got a pair of a900's a month or two ago and am still letting them burn in. i agree that the bass isn't very tight, and that the mids are a little recessed, but i hope the mod doesn't take away from other parts of the headphone... i like detailed highs
icon10.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #20 of 30
Everything is a matter of taste :\

The trick is to get a brave (or dumb, same thing in this case) friend to mod them first
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #21 of 30
The highs are just as bright and detailed as before, in fact they are more detailed because they are not fighting to be heard over an echo. Mids are also a lot more detailed for the same reason. Bass quantity stays about the same, but it does tighten up, so that it is not boomy, but is more textured.

The mod can be easily reversed by simply removing the blue tak and cotton, and glueing the foam back in place (there's only 2 pieces of foam).

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #23 of 30
Hey Tyson. I am intrigued and inclined to do this mod. I like my mids! First, I have a really "D'oh" question: What is the technique for removing the ear pads from the A-900s?

I tried to see how they come off yesterday, and could not easily figure it out, but that was probably cos I was too geek-tarded to give it any ooomph for fear of ripping them.

BranMuffins: Thanks for sharing your "validation" of this mod. Yes, please post pix, and Tyson, por favor, if you could kindly comment on BranMuffins mod once his pix are posted (since you are the guru of the "blu-tack/cotton mod"), it would be greatly appreciated.

thx, - walk

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #24 of 30
Man we need to get some pictures. I'm scratching my head on how to get the pads off without damaging them.

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by choweee
is it possible that this mod is a matter of taste? i ask only because i invested in a pair of flats for my grado 225's and found that i preferred the bowls. i'm interested in trying this mod but it doesn't sound too reversible.

i got a pair of a900's a month or two ago and am still letting them burn in. i agree that the bass isn't very tight, and that the mids are a little recessed, but i hope the mod doesn't take away from other parts of the headphone... i like detailed highs
icon10.gif

+1!!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinWu
Man we need to get some pictures. I'm scratching my head on how to get the pads off without damaging them.

They just pull off, but use care of course. They are a pain to put back on, I really dislike A900 pads in general.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #27 of 30
Yep, just grab the earpads and pull gently. The outer edge of the pleather will pull out of the ridge around the cups. Getting them off is pretty easy. Getting them back on is harder and requires a bit of patience.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #28 of 30
What exaclty is "blu-tak"? Where can I purchase them?

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #29 of 30
I picked mine up at office depot:

blu tak

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BranMuffins
... I'll post some pics and a longer review later, and hopefully once I have the pics up I can be sure I did everything right.

I eagerly look forward to your review, especially with some pictures of the process. I have no experience with modding, but this sounds so simple and tantalizing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back