Mod your Beyerdynamic DTX Headphones.
Sep 20, 2014 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MrTechAgent

Member of the Trade: Kaldas Research

"Made In China" Beyers , this is to make this cheap headphone look and feel cool !

Step 1 , important step , UNBOX 

Step 2 , take it apart , inspect room for modding

Looks good 

Step 3 - Begin Modding 

Good , Mini-XLR added 

Step 4 , spend the same amount of money you spent on this headphone on EDT990V earpads , cause let's admit it , its completely worth it.

That's it , now some let's talk about the mod and the hurdles you might face , you WILL !!!!

This headphone was a bi*** to work with , taking off the pads is almost impossible to figure out , you will wreck **** , the pad removal is different from the classic DT series , the pads are enclosed in the housing , you need to take off the foam against the baffle , unscrew the fuc*** screws which are horribly tight , then the baffle comes in your hand and finally the pads are off perfectly , I wrecked my pads , the plug modding was easy , I don't have a dremel rotary tool so I used a drill machine , used a round file as the bit and started working , long story short it went great and the headphones look 10X cooler , of course with the added functionality , cause the stock cable might as well be a weapon , its the thickest headphone cable I've seem in a long time , here's the kicker , inside that intimidating cable you see 3 modest enamel coated conductors , so all this rubber for that , good job Beyer and China !! 

Now since the stock pads are so sh**** you have to roll pads , so you spend more on a earpad , for the avid pad rollers , you know the 990v is a headphone destroyer , just kills the SQ with brightness up top , with the DTX it is bright but the comfort is so high that I want to keep it forever , it doesn't affect the sound drastically but the bass shows you the bird and rolls off , there ....you modded it , I'm sorry if I used rough language for this thread , I'm really sleepy and tired , take it easy guys ! 

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 7
I love watching a good mod come together. I always have to make my headphones have detachable cables. They're so much easier to store afterwards, you can choose which cable you want whether it's for aesthetics or purely for function (long for at home, short for on-the-go), and well.. because not many other people have the balls fine motor skills to pull it off, so it entices them. Ha! 

Also, anyone who's ever owned Beyers know the DT/T velour ear pads are the most comfortable you can find, a pad swap was a no-brainer.

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 7
  I love watching a good mod come together. I always have to make my headphones have detachable cables. They're so much easier to store afterwards, you can choose which cable you want whether it's for aesthetics or purely for function (long for at home, short for on-the-go), and well.. because not many other people have the balls fine motor skills to pull it off, so it entices them. Ha! 

Also, anyone who's ever owned Beyers know the DT/T velour ear pads are the most comfortable you can find, a pad swap was a no-brainer.

Agreed
You were my inspiration , seeing your modded headphones made me jelly enough to "Do It Myself !"

May 31, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 7
I did a similar thing to my DTX 910. It's pretty much the same headphone, the only difference I can see between 700/710 and 900/910 apart from paint is that the 710 is open and the 910 is more open (more vents). DTX700/710/900/910 have the same drivers, baffles, pads, cables, headbands. Back of the cup is the only thing that's different. In any case, I put large Beyer pads on them, but instead of EDT990V I used EDT770V. Huge comfort improvement, and with EDT770V bass actually improved (the headphones gained some low bass instead of losing it). They were not bad stock, they sound really good now. I did not remove the foam that's in front of the driver.

I did not have any problems dismantling the headphones and I did not destroy the original pads (but yes, you have to remove 3 screws from each cup before taking off the pad).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back