[Mod] Ultrasone PRO 900 - Beyerdynamic Leather Cushions for Isolation
Mar 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DragonClaymore5

New Head-Fier
I just got an Ultrasone PRO 900.  Like, just picked it up from the mailbox an hour ago.  After putting it on my head, I quickly realized that these are the best headphones I've ever listened to.  They don't have that congested feel of closed cans, have the huge bass impact of my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80, yet have such a clear and audible midrange.  I feel like I've still been missing so much of my music until getting these.

But there is one flaw.  One big flaw that is really, really annoying me.

These headphones leak like a sieve.  I almost thought I had a special PRO 2900 that looked like the 900.

I took the headphones off of my head, pressed the ear cushions together, then pressed play.  I could hear everything in the music.  I then put them at the other side of my room.  I still could hear them.  I had to turn my E7 all the way down to 12/60 volume just to keep it from leaking.  Going from my DT770 Pro with leather aviation ear cushions for huge isolation to this, this simply will NOT do.

Mod - Beyerdynamic EDT300LR Leather Cushions:

I almost wanted to return them.  But then, a great idea occured to me.  I took the leather ear cushions from my DT770 (Part ID EDT300LR) and tried to see if I could put them on my PRO 900.  Because the PRO 900 uses special speed-switch ear cushions, I can't link it normally.

However, I discovered that the lip of the ear cushion fits perfectly around the outer edge of the PRO 900.  See below:

I need to cut a semicircle in the lip so that it can fit properly where the cable enters the housing.

In order to have a center covering in the cushion, I took the second spare set of ear cushions that came with my PRO 900 and cut off the velvet cushions, leaving me with the plastic ring with the mesh covering.  This felt like utter blasphemy, tearing up such a nice thing, especially barely two hours after getting it, but the Beyerdynamic felt circles don't stay in place, and I think they muddy up the sound a little. 

Basically, cut the hell out of two PRO 900 pads until they look like this, then install them:

After the mod, isolation improved tremendously.  It seemed like tenfold, though it still can't quite compete with the DT770.

I might just glue these on with an adhesive for now, they sound great, but the leather pads can fall off kinda easily without glue.  They also don't look bad cosmetically, it just adds a black ring around the outside of the housing.  It fits in perfectly  :)

Has anyone found any other way to get better pads on the PRO 900?  I've heard of lower end PRO models having pleather ear cushions.

EDIT:  If you're looking for the ear cushions to do this mod yourself, you can buy them directly from Beyerdynamic online.  (http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/)  Look for part name EDT300L.  This mod theoretically should work with all their circular ear cushions, maybe even the gel ones - that would be interesting.

EDIT 2:  Added a picture of the horrible thing I did to two of my Ultrasone pads :p

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 7
i tried the pro650 pleather speed switches on my 900s. isolation increased by about 5%, but the sound got hurt too bad. less bass, harsher highs, just overall muddy. not recommended. stock pads sound best.

and fyi, if you think the 900s r that leaky then damn.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Maybe I'm just crazy.  Then again, I am coming from a DT770 Pro-80, which is the king of isolating headphones as far as I've heard, especially with the leather aviation ear cushions.  However, if anyone's looking to get more isolation out of their PRO 900 without doing difficult pad mods like gluing JMoney pads, this is the way to do it.  It's too easy to not give it a try.

Another Pad Option - Beyerdynamic DT770 Velour:

You can also fit Beyerdynamic DT770 velour ear cushions on the PRO 900 in the same way that the leather ear cushions were fitted onto them above.  This also means you should be able to fit any Beyerdynamic circular ear cushion on these.  Again, don't bother with the thick foam circles that come with them, they muddy up the sound quite a bit.

Left:  Ear cushions.
Right: Ear cushions mounted on my PRO 900.

My DT770 velour pads just happen to have been dyed hot pink.  They take Rit dye very well, if you're curious.

The velour cushions don't mess with the sound at all as far as I've noticed, yet they improve the isolation and sound leaking significantly.  Not as much isolation as the leather pads, but a large improvement over the stock velvet pads.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 7
Apr 19, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 7
I would like to buy Beyerdynamic DT770 velour ear cushions and put it to my Ultrasone 2900 Pro.

I tryed DT770 and they are much more comfortable. Could anyone, please, tell me, if there could be any sonic differences? I don’t want to spoil the sound of my 2900, especially I’m affraid to lose the S-Logic effect. I mean: the sound transducers of Ultrasone are not directly aimed at the ear canal, but are instead arranged decentrally. So maybe the size of ear cushions shouldn’t be changed?

I am also thinking how to make headband more comfortable, as much as it is in DT770. Have anyone an idea how to make it?

Thank you in advance,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back