mod the 410? is it worth it?
Mar 26, 2006 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

familyman

500+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if there is any mods i can do to this thing(preferably easy ones), and if its worth it? I only know what the dacs, and op-amps are, everything else is a mystery to me... are the capacitors the big black cylinders?

rolleyes.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 7
if you don't know what a capacitor looks like, you probably shouldn't be modding expensive gear.

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
if you don't know what a capacitor looks like, you probably shouldn't be modding expensive gear.

humbug, the 410 isn't very expensive. Thanks for the amazing comment.

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 7
I am currently planning to mod my 410. The things I am planning to do are:
Get a high quality DC adaptor. Because I like to have a powered firewire port on the 410 and run it on external power I have removed the imput diode for the firewire power in. I plan to put a switch on the unit so i can select firewire power if I need to.
Replace some of the op-amps with AD8066's (not sure which channels yet tho but definately one of the headphone channels).
Replace the output caps with higher quality ones (not sure which yet)
I am sure replacing the big black cylinders with bigger / better caps + bypass caps would do something good but I havent thought about this yet
I would also like to replace the SPDIF coaxel connectors with 75ohm BNC connectors as I have some nice BNC cables spare.
At some point i would like to build a custom output stage as i have aquired an AK4396 and i would quite like to design an output stage with balanced outputs but this will require lots of research.

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 7
That all sounds awesome, i was planning on just trying to change the caps out for better ones but if you do some of your mods successfuly i might try to do more.
First things first, i need a soldering gun
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
First things first, i need a soldering gun
tongue.gif

You really are going to get hurt (as cire alluded).
tongue.gif

No gun; iron.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
You really are going to get hurt (as cire alluded).
tongue.gif

No gun; iron.

Have some faith... i am versatile, at least that's what i'm told. I do about 1000 different things working for the city, everything from simply reading water meters, to cutting up manhole sections with a hydraulic concrete chainsaw, so ductile pipes can be fitted in.... also i had one of those neat electronic board kit thingy's when i was a kid, the one that you can make simple things on it like a radio or pulsing noises and stuff.
tongue.gif

edit: oh yeah and i'm getting $2200 bucks for my tax return on friday so NEW COMP and fundage for modding!!!!!!!!!!1

edit again: recommend any decent soldering iron's? under $100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back