mod my MSB Link III or build an AOS PPA DAC?
Mar 3, 2004 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Super-Gonzo

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm trying to decide what my audio project for this spring will be, and I've narrowed it down to improving my DAC.

I'm currently using a MSB Link III DAC, completely stock (even the wall wart PSU, shock, shock, horror, horror.)

As far as modding the MSB, I've found this online:
http://themorgue.org/audio/msb-link/

and I could either build or purchase an improved power supply. (or maybe build a rechargable battery pack and charging circuit...)

the other option I'm considering is building AOS's new PPA DAC.

So which would you do? Anyone out there who has heard both AOS's DAC and a modded MSB? Whats gonna make my ears the happiest?

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 19
29 reads and no one has an opinion... man that's suprising for this place! Come on guys, I'm bored!
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 19
my vote goes to aos's ppa dac becouse of many reasons..

Mar 3, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Glassman
my vote goes to aos's ppa dac becouse of many reasons..

I'd love to hear your reasons, I've heard very little about AOS's new dac, other than what is on his website.

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 19
you can swap opamps on it ... its portable all in one with amp and battery board for the on the go audiophile, beats the mensa dio w/stock supply, etc....

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 19
When you say PPA DAC you don't mean Piccolo right? Can you make the DAC in PPA without the PPA amp? That's what's confusing me.

I don't have a need for the amp at home or portable.

xtreme4099, there you go saying it beats MENSA again. I'd have to hear it to believe it. DI/Os aren't portable and can do 24/96 so they're not totally comparable.

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 19
no piccolo is a different product ... AOS's new one is the pace amp as he calls it, which is a PPA, DAC, and Battery Board in One. http://members.shaw.ca/aoselco/aos/pace.html ... i believe the guys at laroccoaudio.com will build you one as well with a discrete if you want but feel free to double check that with larry over there.
cool.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 19
PPA DAC can be DIY'ed. Version with DIR1703E should be able to do 24/96 (the one with AK4117VF cannot do above 48kHz (but it can do 24 bits) because it operates in low power mode).

Piccolo and PPA DAC are very similar but Piccolo has extra regulation as it doesn't rely on PPA to supply power. PPA DAC can definitely be used as standalone DAC - I myself mostly use speakers anyway, and it can be used even with a plain wallwart but it's best to use a regulated power source with it.

Mar 5, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 19
By the way, in response to the main topic of this thread, my vote would be for building the PPA DAC. I heard it at the Seattle meet and was really impressed. With the MSB Link series there are so many options (Half Nelson, Full Nelson, Powerbase, etc.) that it gets to be pricey fast, plus everyone who's heard the Powerbase always comments that it's pretty much essential. The PPA DAC just sounds good out of the box. No upgrades to worry about.

Mar 5, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #12 of 19
Supper Gonzo> The AD827 used in the MSB mod is a fine Op amp for I/V conversion stages. I have used a pair of these in my old Magnavox CD player with the Highly Coveted 16 Bit TDA-1541 DAC but with a I believe SSA-2270 receiver. I plan on trying one of these in aos PPA DAC sometime soon however my stash Elantec op amp I have been listening to since the meet along with the addition of the TRIAD Buffer Board have raised the bar on the Sonics of this DAC/Amp combo since the meet. However most of the improvement comes from going from the HA-5002 Buffers to the TRIAD board.
The addition of the TRIAD board required that the longer Hammond case be used. That’s now 8.6” long as opposed to 6.3” with the IC buffer with DAC board.

The PPA DAC heard at the last meet used the IC Buffers and was in the 6.3” Case. All the Op Amps in both the DAC and the AMP were OPA-627’s this gives the total Burr Brown Sound from the DAC Chip through out the remaining analog chain. Using BUF-634’s on the Output would have completed the package but however you might go to sleep from too much politeness. Comparisons I have done with the Moded Art DI/o showed the DI/o to be more dynamic but hollow sounding in the mids and without the real sub harmonic Bass extension of the aos dac with the same amp and that amp being the combo listened to at the Seattle meet. Both that same di/o as well as a non moded one was available at the meet however others were evaluating the two and I believe the PPA aos dac was also available along with them. Me I was into the Stealth and the RKV to see what tube amp would be magic on my MDR-f1’s and I must say the RKV put some of the best Bass into these cans that I have ever heard. Moreover I was able to hear the K1000’s on another tube Amp using EL-34’s and playing from the same source as the RKV I could just slip off the F1’s and on the K-1000’s Truly the F1’s are deserving of there rep as the Poor mans K-1000’s.

Mar 5, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #13 of 19
I have a CS43122 version in the works, and I'm hoping to add USB input as well. I'm not in a big rush though. CS43122 has much better digital filter but it also uses more than twice as much power, costs 3-4 times as much, and it's several years old now so I really don't know what to expect. As-is, this dac was really created to mate with PPA so low power was a requirement.

Mar 5, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #14 of 19
why not use some of the AKM dac's ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back