Mod Music Hall or buy modded 222es?
Mar 17, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #16 of 21
oh by the way, i got my stuff modded by chris johnson of Parts Connexion in canada...it wasn't cheap, but the quality of the mod is fantastic and the turnaround time was less than two weeks (i shipped via FedEx International economy both ways)

shipping is about $55 each way if it is insured for $400 usd w/ the commercial invoice (that way you won't have to pay duties/taxes). they charge about $50 bucks/hour for labor (took them about 2 hours of work), another $50 for the additional power supply for the clock, and $260 for the XO3 clock.

Mar 17, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #17 of 21
Just curious...have you looked into the Ram Signature CD-25? They replace the opamp output stage with a tube one and say that it bests 3k+ Meridian players. I can't attest to that claim as I haven't heard it, but he does get some rave reviews from his Absolute Truth mods for the high-end Sonys. Just a thought, might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

Mar 17, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kyo
Just curious...have you looked into the Ram Signature CD-25? They replace the opamp output stage with a tube one and say that it bests 3k+ Meridian players. I can't attest to that claim as I haven't heard it, but he does get some rave reviews from his Absolute Truth mods for the high-end Sonys. Just a thought, might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

Interesting. I wonder what they are asking for this.

Mar 17, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #20 of 21
hmm...i wonder how ModWright's mod package compares to PartsConnexion's system....Maybe somewhere down the road i'll try it out sometime and see how much better the tube outputs are compared to the OPA 627s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #21 of 21
I have a Jolida JD-100a that I am listening to on a trial basis. Like the RAM mod, it has a true tube output although the RAM mod is probably a little crisper sounding but also a bit more expensive.

Since I am runnning it through a Singlepower MPX3 I find it just a touch too fat and sweet with this setup but its still pretty impressive. The touch of brightness with the upsampling is balanced well with the smoothness of the tubes. I think if I had a solid state amp I would absolutely love it. It easily beats the sacdmods 222es that I just sold. I would imagine that with the right tubes this player could certainly rival the RAM CD25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back