C0F7AA1A-6BB8-4479-A477-8BF8D9A58388.jpeg

if you want more balanced sound :)

FB4C9254-E8E7-40C5-B074-AA3ECF10CEB8.jpeg

59600579-F1E0-41FF-A9CC-E9C5C5CABAF6.jpeg

Tanchjim filters added in the mix

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 29
KZ DQ6 sponge mod

This tamed the treble spikes almost ideally. Unfortunately, it made the bass bloated, with way too much mid bass and muddiness. Likely not enough airflow.

607A3D3D-D868-44D3-B4D7-FF20E5DA47E1.jpeg

This tamed the treble spikes a little, to take the edge off, but not as much as I would like. There is enough airflow though, and the bass remains at stock tuning. While it’s not ideal, it is something, and the sound can be further tailored with different ear tips. The sponges didn’t noticeably affect technicalities, such as detail retrieval, soundstage, and imaging.

FA0713D4-52E3-464F-B331-430342280C5B.jpeg

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #19 of 29
I’m listening to the DQ6 with the Moondrop filters on, but with the sponge/foam removed. The Moondrop filters just barely fit the diameter of the DQ6 nozzle, but due to the thickness of the anti-clog filters, they extend slightly past the end of the nozzle. I think I like it a little more than the sponge/foam mod I initially tried. The effect sounds relatively subtle to me, w/o making it sound muffled or veiled at all. Treble can still be a bit sharp at times, but smoother overall. There is still a good amount of detail present.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #20 of 29
KZ DQ6 sponge mod

This tamed the treble spikes almost ideally. Unfortunately, it made the bass bloated, with way too much mid bass and muddiness. Likely not enough airflow.

607A3D3D-D868-44D3-B4D7-FF20E5DA47E1.jpeg

This tamed the treble spikes a little, to take the edge off, but not as much as I would like. There is enough airflow though, and the bass remains at stock tuning. While it’s not ideal, it is something, and the sound can be further tailored with different ear tips. The sponges didn’t noticeably affect technicalities, such as detail retrieval, soundstage, and imaging.

FA0713D4-52E3-464F-B331-430342280C5B.jpeg

That means the sponge density is too high, try lower density sponge, and keep doing that way for better airflow. This kind of mods need measurement tools and trial & error method efforts, be patient!

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #21 of 29
That means the sponge density is too high, try lower density sponge, and keep doing that way for better airflow. This kind of mods need measurement tools and trial & error method efforts, be patient!
Yes. Unfortunately I don’t a variety of sponges to try right now, and I don’t have any measurement equipment, but the Moondrop filters work well. It’s a learning process for me.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #24 of 29

Super easy DQ6 mod with KBEAR believe filter. Just peel and attach the KBEAR filter after removing stock dust guard.

Wow, nice! Definitely, I'll try it. I just got my DQ6 yesterday and even though I'm liking it a lot for instrumentals I confess that peak at the treble is a bit bothersome/harsh to me when the cymbals strike at loud-ish volumes, and perhaps that's the culprit for the slightly artificial tonality for some people.

I've been playing with mods, definitely, the tiny sponge/foam that I have here (pic) is high density and it tames the sound too much. But I'm liking the JVC james444/Slater mod (link) the most, it's enough to tame the splashiness and the presentation at the treble is more organic overall, which is something the graph can't show.

1.png

Out of curiosity, when you have some free time could you measure the moondrop filter + DQ6 using your rig? Whenever I measure it on my DIY rig (boya mic+tube) the moondrop filter shows the strongest dampening effect, so I'm not sure whether it's real or just a limitation of my DIY rig.

2.png
(the green shows the effect in just adding the filter and keeping the same volume as the stock)

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #25 of 29
But I'm liking the JVC james444/Slater mod (link) the most, it's enough to tame the splashiness and the presentation at the treble is more organic overall, which is something the graph can't show.
That mod is excellent at taming the treble w/o affecting upper mids too much. Unfortunately for me, I don‘t have the hang of it yet.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #26 of 29
That mod is excellent at taming the treble w/o affecting upper mids too much. Unfortunately for me, I don‘t have the hang of it yet.
True. I was struggling to perform this mod but using this guide and a needle helped quite a bit to achieve a good 'cylinder'.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MGZ4CtFUV-O5fIkBjLMQVqqLbjGs2RcH/view (print it out at 100%) -- and how to use it: https://imgur.com/a/j14TxTI

And from another forum:
Then use a needle... fit one end through the eye and wrap the strip around the needle:

[IMG]

Lastly, you can carefully use the needle's rear end to keep same size gaps open in the middle of both filters:

[IMG]

In my experience, slightly unbalanced mods aren't necessarily an issue. But if you feel that the center image is skewed, or that one side sounds a tad more muffled than the other, then you should definitely redo the mod to ensure proper channel balance.

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #27 of 29
Wow, nice! Definitely, I'll try it. I just got my DQ6 yesterday and even though I'm liking it a lot for instrumentals I confess that peak at the treble is a bit bothersome/harsh to me when the cymbals strike at loud-ish volumes, and perhaps that's the culprit for the slightly artificial tonality for some people.

I've been playing with mods, definitely, the tiny sponge/foam that I have here (pic) is high density and it tames the sound too much. But I'm liking the JVC james444/Slater mod (link) the most, it's enough to tame the splashiness and the presentation at the treble is more organic overall, which is something the graph can't show.

1.png

Out of curiosity, when you have some free time could you measure the moondrop filter + DQ6 using your rig? Whenever I measure it on my DIY rig (boya mic+tube) the moondrop filter shows the strongest dampening effect, so I'm not sure whether it's real or just a limitation of my DIY rig.

2.png
(the green shows the effect in just adding the filter and keeping the same volume as the stock)
Moondrop filters do have the strongest dampening effect. I will try measuring it soon.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #29 of 29
Resurrecting an old thread

This most likely is old news to many, but since I don’t mess with my phone’s (Galaxy Note 20) settings once they’re working properly. I only realized during the last update that under sound quality, I now see Dolby Atmos, for music.

Best analogy that comes to mind is going from bookshelf speakers to towers. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back