Mobile phones as sources - be gentle with me
Jan 1, 2008 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

yojimbo

New Head-Fier
tongue.gif

I don't see much written about phones as sources - what are the views about them?

I'm looking for a new dap now and also need a new phone so you can see where I'm coming from...

Cheers guys and happy noo year to y'all

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 21
I can't say anything about the iPhone, but the ones I've tried have been woefully subpar. Phones are still phones, not music players; at least, with current technology anyway.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 21
Buy yourself a Sandisk Clip or Express at ~20 quid and let your phone be a phone.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 21
Jan 2, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 21
Speaking of nokia, there is an S60v3 (which the N95 is) music player app that plays OGG files(and maybe FLAC is possible). I don't have one so I haven't tried it yet, but I doubt that the sound quality will be good enough from a phone.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy yourself a Sandisk Clip or Express at ~20 quid and let your phone be a phone.
biggrin.gif

...and why have one gadget when I can have two eh?
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 21
The best sounding phone ever I've used is Siemens SL45i
biggrin.gif
It gives superb bass response and pairs perfectly with the KSC75. No combination can beat them.

I know many head-fiers here will wonder what the hell it is ...

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 21
The issue with phones is usability, as always. Even if you find a phone that does a good job as a phone it doesn't mean that the music part is good and/or caters to your needs. I have a Nokia E51 now that actually does a superb job as a phone for the most part. In contrast to the "N" phones it is nicely made using pleasant materials. It also has very good Mac and iTunes/iPhoto integration out of the box, which came as a surprise. Nevertheless, even though I thought about it, I will most likely not use the audio function much as it means getting a 2,5/3,5mm adaptor, and the interface for music is... well, it is not broken, but it is definitely not an iPod.

I'd say if you do not mind the hassle too much, get two devices, each according to your needs. Otherwise you will end up compromising on some end. That's why I did not get an iPhone for instance, too much compromise on the phone part for my taste.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 21
I recently got my Samdung D807 to play MP3s. The sound is not bad, but song management and user interface are really lacking. The playback order is unknown. You can't select artist or album, just the song. It uses actual file names, not id3 tags. You have to load songs to a microsd card, link them to a playlist and are limited to 100 songs (trial and error). Documentation on being an MP3 player is virtually non-existent. The list goes on.

However, since I need to have my phone with me all the times, it can be convienent for times I didn't bring my iPod.

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 21
Correction: i found that the N810 is not a mobile phone, it´s an internet tablet instead.

Well, i doubt the n95 could have a decent sound, so much circuits it has inside (gps, camera, phone). And the battery life isn´t for multiple uses as well. But I´ll give it a try before I buy some more serious stuff
rolleyes.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 21
My Sony Ericsson k800 is pretty acceptable sounding. It can be hacked and patched to sound even better. It has the same hardware as the latest Walkman branded phones but SE intentionally degraded the audio drivers. That can be changed by modifying the firmware.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 21
After using a Zen Vision:M, then a touch, I can't say I can go back to using a phone again as a MP3 player. Like what Oliver says, the main thing is the UI. Phones in general have so-so UI for their music functions, and those that do (WM, Treos) are usually the ones doing other things that require enough battery life that I can't afford to divert to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back