Mobile phone+DAC+Amp Opinion
Jun 13, 2020 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

travellersolo

New Head-Fier
I have an old phone Samsung Note 3 that has been idling around for some time. It is too cheap to sell, and it is still functioning alright. I read that some phones are having good reputations for their sound quality like some LG models.

I am wondering, if I pair up Note 3 with a good DAC+Amp, would I get a good sounding device out of the old phone? If it is possible at all, any recommendation as to which DAC or DAC+Amp that I should consider (price must be below USD 200). I use KZ iem, and also cans like Beyer Custom One Pro and Final Audio Pandora Hope IV.

A more general question is: How far can mobile phone+DAC+Amp go, in terms of SQ? (If one doesn't mind the bulk.)

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Yes, this is totally doable. Many people buy old LG phones for this same purpose. If you use a portable DAC/Amp via usb connection, you’ll bypass the phones DAC and amplifier, it it will only function as a music source, while all the audio is run through whatever dac/amp you choose.

As someone who exclusively uses portable DACs/Amps, I’d say you can get just as good audio from portables as most desktop solutions. I own a iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, and find it has better specs than most desktop units.

The biggest drawback is educating yourself on the “oddities” of how your phone outputs digital audio via USB OTG and buying the right cables to connect and enabling the proper settings to allow for it. Also, you’ll generally spend more money for a portable than a comparable desktop device. Finally, batteries have a fairly definitive lifetime, so be aware that portable devices will not last forever—unless you can change their batteries once they fail.

Personally, I don’t own any single audio device over $1200, so I can’t speak to higher-end desktop gear that may have a marked SQ benefit over portables. I’m sure there are desktop units far better than portable units, so just realize there is a ceiling, but that the ceiling is very high—at least for me.

That all said, you can still use your phone with desktop units as long as they allow for a usb connection.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 7
But is there a definitive way to bypass the issue of as long as the phone is plugged into the DAC/amp via otg there is consistent battery drain. I tried going this route and it all sounded great but no matter how much I stripped down on services running and loaded apps I could not get better than 1%/hour. I believe my phone would not go into a - I think what they call in Android speak - doze mode for minimal battery drain. If I fully charge both phone and dac/amp and not touch them, my battery is at about 50% after two days. Real annoying. Yes, I also tried the popular FiiO otg cable.

For the record, I was using a brand new Moto G and Topping's NX4 connected with the aforementioned FiiO otg. The set up sounded great but the battery drain got to be too annoying.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 7
But is there a definitive way to bypass the issue of as long as the phone is plugged into the DAC/amp via otg there is consistent battery drain. I tried going this route and it all sounded great but no matter how much I stripped down on services running and loaded apps I could not get better than 1%/hour. I believe my phone would not go into a - I think what they call in Android speak - doze mode for minimal battery drain. If I fully charge both phone and dac/amp and not touch them, my battery is at about 50% after two days. Real annoying. Yes, I also tried the popular FiiO otg cable.

For the record, I was using a brand new Moto G and Topping's NX4 connected with the aforementioned FiiO otg. The set up sounded great but the battery drain got to be too annoying.
This is odd because the Topping NX4 DSD has a separate charge port. The signal input port does not accept or require power.

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Dongle DACs have come a long way. I have tried AQ Dragonfly Red, Shanling UP, Zorloo ZuperdacS - they worked good but were sold due to low power and or hiss.
These days choices are plentiful: E1DA 9038S/D, Hilidac Beam 2, Ibasso DC01/02/03, Hidizs S8 S9, Xduoo Link 2.
Bluetooth adapters with good sound: Qudelix 5K, Fiio BTR3, BTR3k, BTR5.

I have Qudelix and Xduoo Link 2. Plenty of power, great DSP, quiet background with no hiss, balanced 2.5 on Qudelix ( it can also be used as a usb dac/amp for a phone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back