MMOFPS, anyone?
Nov 18, 2009 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Stitch

500+ Head-Fier
I've played a number of mmorpgs, including WoW, Everquest2, EVE online and guildwars.
I can not seem to be enjoying those games anymore. Ive always been a FPS player and i like playing with other ppl, just not in a competetive style.

Can anyone recommend me a fps mmo? I was gonna try Tabula rasa but it is discontinued. Though not MMO, im thinking of getting borderlands.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 13
Completed them already
smily_headphones1.gif
But indeed no mmo's , great games nonetheless. Spend part of nightshift searching for mmofps a bit.
Gonna get Borderlands tommorow and wait for Huxley and Earthrise

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 13
Borderlands isn't an MMO, but it's at least an RPG. Hellgate: London tried the MMO route and they just couldn't keep their crazy business model up and running. If memory serves, SOE was working on a sequel to Planetside that was supposed to be better.

One game I really like that is a third-person shooter that has some MMO qualities and is free-to-play with micro-transactions is Exteel. It's a FPS in a giant "Japanese-style" robot where you earn money through different game scenarios to upgrade gear. More FPS than RPG, but still fun and free.

-Nylan

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Nope it isnt, but its online
Shooting everything that moves with tons of guns in a Mad Max style barren wasteland and with humor. Enough to get me going for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Seen exteel, didnt look apealing, but i will give it a go.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Borderlands is fantastic fun, assuming you have 3 other buddies who will play regularly with you. The online portion isn't "Massive" though - only 4 players at a time.

Assuming you have other buddies who play regularly with you, and you play all 4 of the classes up to level 50 and complete 2 full playthroughs for each character (after which you will be playing/hunting/farming for better loot and gear) it should keep you thoroughly entertained for a couple of months.

Bonus: If you go the Xbox 360 route with Borderlands, there are several fun downloadable content packs scheduled to be released. As a matter of fact, the first DLC for Borderlands is being released very soon.

With that said, I am currently addicted to Borderlands, and expect to get at least another month or two of fun out of it.

Bonus tip for power gamers: The Siren is by far the most powerful character in the game. With the proper build, gun proficiency and gear, the Siren speeds around the battlefield, leaving death, destruction and carnage in her wake. It's like playing in God mode. The Siren is my favorite Borderlands character, followed closely by the hunter, then the tank, then the soldier.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 13
Borderline is hardly a rpg... That is seriously stretching. It is a open world fps with rpg elements.

Weak story and hugely overrated. Multiplayer is needed to make it worth anything I suppose.

Planetside is that still alive? I played it some years ago and it was actually really nice.

Otherwise if you are bored of MMOs why not real rpgs? I mean just recently a stellar game like Dragon Age Origins was released? You are bound to have tons of fun with Fallout 3 as well and if you missed Morrowind do yourself a favour
smily_headphones1.gif

If you really need a lot of shooting things Mass Effect or Fallout 3 is the "safest bets". Fallout 3 have more fun weapons though.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0$t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Counter Strike Source

Most. Overated. Shooter. Ever.
I've played Rogue Spear for at least 6 years online, with a few attempts to play CS. It never impressed by bit. Its best we'll leave it at that.

I have enjoyed Fallout 3 very much, still do. Saved before i entered the Memorial so i could continue to explore. Completed it at around the 58hour mark. Now the counter is on something like 66 hours
smily_headphones1.gif
Oblivion was a blast too, might give it another as i never completed it. Totaly forgot about it
smily_headphones1.gif

How much i like playing fantasy rpg's every once in a while, for some reason they can't hold my attention all the way.
Is it true Dragon age works with AD&D rules? If so im not remotely intrested. Enjoyed both NWN1 and 2 and Star Wars:KOTOR for i think 15-20% through and that was it.
Could be due to the fact that i like it more basic and fast paced, or that i'd like to do the killing myself with my own skills. A skill tree is more than enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Got borderlands this afternoon and enjoying it very much so far (lvl8 hunter) Gonna go online tommorow and see what that's like.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 13
last time i played planetside (back when they first made it available for free with the level capped at 6) it was a mix of excessively boring empty areas with a chance encounter with another player, chaotic fights where everyone treats it like a deathmatch and ignores objectives, and the rare battle where people are doing it right and playing as a team to complete an objective

when i found those battles i loved it... but to be honest a regular multiplayer FPS gives me that with a bit more consistency

Users who are viewing this thread

Back