Mmm. In all this search for the perfect reproduction, are we missing the point?
Jan 25, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #16 of 17
IMO there's not much discussion to be had; we aren't talking about anything particularly novel. 

1) Some people get addicted to buying and selling equipment. If they enjoy that, what's the problem? 
2) Some people get addicted to just focusing on the equipment. If they enjoy that, what's the problem? It's the same as collecting stamps, coins, or beanie babies. 
3) Some people love music and want better equipment to make it sound better. 
4) Some people think music is ok and then, upon finding great headphones, delve into the hobby and love music more. 

Regardless, that drive or addiction is why you can live in a heated or cooled home, drive a car, and get to work on some paved street with order and law. Without "us" you'd be living in a cave or hut somewhere. It's the people who are addicted, who mod, who buy and sell, that have pushed us to where we are as a race. In a way, of course. 

Back on topic...

Other than those 4 options, there's really nothing else... interesting? To answer your question, you're just not as enthusiastic about it as much of us here; it's like me going to a history museum, as a foreigner, and wondering what the hub-ub is all about. It isn't relevant to me unless I feel personally connected OR can find meaning in it. 

So... maybe you could learn more about yourself from your own post than how we feel? 

:)

One, my question was not to be "novel" .. It was a musing in my head which I turned into a question, not a statement.

People who do like to buy and sell equipment, that's up to them, and my question is not intended to incite hostility. I'm asking to see if there are also other people like myself on HeadFi who've got to the point where my question has entered their head, and how they feel.

The engineers who've strived to get us in space for example, have had bigger goals in their life then making good sound. Sorry If that sounds catty, but likening hobbyists/hifi enthusiasts to those people, or Jenner who discovered the cure for smallpox, or Scott who got off his arse and went to the Antartic is a bit of a stretch...

I've owned a great deal of hifi equipment over the time, and listened to ALOT of high end stuff..

I know exactly where I am, my question, as I've said before, is to stimulate discussion. I think it's a bit of a leap for you to say "I'm not as enthusiastic", I've spent a decent amount of coin (again) on a HeadFi setup, and I'm now at the point where instead of spending money on equipment, I'm going to spend money on music. And enjoy it.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #17 of 17
One, my question was not to be "novel" .. It was a musing in my head which I turned into a question, not a statement.

People who do like to buy and sell equipment, that's up to them, and my question is not intended to incite hostility. I'm asking to see if there are also other people like myself on HeadFi who've got to the point where my question has entered their head, and how they feel.

The engineers who've strived to get us in space for example, have had bigger goals in their life then making good sound. Sorry If that sounds catty, but likening hobbyists/hifi enthusiasts to those people, or Jenner who discovered the cure for smallpox, or Scott who got off his arse and went to the Antartic is a bit of a stretch...

I've owned a great deal of hifi equipment over the time, and listened to ALOT of high end stuff..

I know exactly where I am, my question, as I've said before, is to stimulate discussion. I think it's a bit of a leap for you to say "I'm not as enthusiastic", I've spent a decent amount of coin (again) on a HeadFi setup, and I'm now at the point where instead of spending money on equipment, I'm going to spend money on music. And enjoy it.

Your question is, "are we missing the point?" And then you described that as being too focused on the equipment and less on the music. 

I'm just saying that, well, if you wanted more discussion, maybe you should have initially asked a different question, like "what still drives you to visit this site?"

That would be more suitable, IMO. Your original question implies that we ARE focusing too much on other things and that's where I based my argument. Now if that's not what you meant then you should change the title/question. But if that is, then this is the point I'm going to make. 

Some people just like collecting equipment; there are a number of people here who have made HUGE threads reviewing 100's of IEMs or cans. Personally, I just shoot for the most expensive/best in my price range and own one thing. Maybe one home can and one IEM. But others obviously get high end stuff and STILL buy lower end stuff. That's OK. 

I guess I was just subconsciously trying to get to the end of the thread, stating the somewhat obvious answer that we're all thinking. If nobody says it, we'd just see tens of posts about how "I'm in this hobby for the music" or, "I'm in this hobby for the equipment," or "it's not that simple."

None of that brings anything new to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back