MMCX connectors: how reliable?
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

teus

New Head-Fier
A very broad question: how reliable have MMCX connectors become?
A few years ago I was introduced in a whole new world, when buying the BGVP SGZ-DN1. Detachable cable, over-the-ear fitment, super comfortable and reliable fit in my ears. After a few months the MMCX connection started cutting out. A new cable didn't help.
Googling around showed plenty of other people, having issues with MMCX connectors on different brands. There's still new IEM's with MMCX coming to the market, but the connector looks quite a bit different.
Maybe I got scared. Are MMCX connections generally trustworthy nowadays?

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 7
A few years ago I was introduced in a whole new world, when buying the BGVP SGZ-DN1. Detachable cable, over-the-ear fitment, super comfortable and reliable fit in my ears. After a few months the MMCX connection started cutting out. A new cable didn't help.
Googling around showed plenty of other people, having issues with MMCX connectors on different brands. There's still new IEM's with MMCX coming to the market, but the connector looks quite a bit different.

Having owned 20+ IEMs, I would say 2 pin connectors generally have better shelf life than MMCX connectors, especially if u are the kind that frequently removes and attaches cables for the same IEM. But if u are just gonna leave the MMCX cable on and never disconnect them, then I don't see an issue with durability. In fact, I have seen some colleagues get their 2 pins broken inside the IEM in a 2 pin conector before.

Oct 15, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 7
MMCX connectors have different quality, they can look different as well.
From my personal experience, good brand have decent sturdy connectors nowadays.
Years ago i had several issues with Westone connectors, their first MMCX were just crap, but now they are strong enough and are holding well.
But with Chi-fi like BGVP you never know, they can be cutting costs and using cheapest connectors they can find.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 7
Having owned 20+ IEMs, I would say 2 pin connectors generally have better shelf life than MMCX connectors, especially if u are the kind that frequently removes and attaches cables for the same IEM. But if u are just gonna leave the MMCX cable on and never disconnect them, then I don't see an issue with durability. In fact, I have seen some colleagues get their 2 pins broken inside the IEM in a 2 pin conector before.
well yes, 2-pin has its flaws like any connector. I've got a few pair of KZ's. The female connector sits where the 2 halves of the housings join, so sideways forces can damage it. The KZ5 got a small chip there, the ED16 had the two halves separate and get a hairline crack. I glued it back together.

MMCX connectors have different quality, they can look different as well.
From my personal experience, good brand have decent sturdy connectors nowadays.
Years ago i had several issues with Westone connectors, their first MMCX were just crap, but now they are strong enough and are holding well.
But with Chi-fi like BGVP you never know, they can be cutting costs and using cheapest connectors they can find.
Well yes, I figured brands would quickly realise bad MMCX connections would cost them a fortune in bad press and warranty replacements.
I dusted off the BGVP's and carefully pried the housings apart, so I could inspect and replace the MMCX connectors.... Well.... this is interesting. 5 of these connectors on Aliexpress for 1.28USD, and 1.88 euro for a genuine Molex connector at Farnell. I'm adding 2 Molex connectors to my next Farnell order.

https://be.farnell.com/molex/73415-0961/rf-coax-conn-mmcx-jack-50-ohm/dp/1909263?CMP=GRHB-OCTOPART
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32892212454.html

edit: for the sake of documentation, the same type is available at 4.34 euro from Radiall, and the most expensive one is 14.59 from TE connectivity
https://be.farnell.com/radiall/r110422100/rf-coaxial-mmcx-straight-jack/dp/1117055
https://be.farnell.com/amp-te-connectivity/1408152-1/mmcx-pcb-edge-mount-jack/dp/2971538

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 7

in addition to @baskingshark observations: I don’t swap around my MMCX cables, so no connectivity issues to speak of. The inherent ability to swivel the earphone also allows me to reign in errant pre-formed, over ear wires.

The only downside (maybe) is visual, because the earphones can swivel 360 degrees, it takes an extra couple seconds to decipher which is L/R.

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 7
I’ve never had an mmcx fail. I’ve had cords that fit with loose connections, though. They are not completely standardized and you will find that some fit tight and some fit loose. I like them because there is no issue of figuring out their polarity with the cables when there are no rarguides or slant connectors on the plugs (I tend to remove guides on my cables).

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Mee audio p1 = fail, Campfire Audio Comets still going strong, so really it's down to how they are built. Still prefer 2-pin where possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back