MLB Playoffs Thread
Oct 15, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #91 of 167
Pale Hose take a big one in CA tonight.

Looking bad for the Halo's - home crowd, vindictiveness from percieved bad call, etc, etc, but Jon Garland goes a strong 9 and gets the W.

Said it after the Whitey's beat my Red Sox, and I'll repeat now - this is the White Sox' year ... just can't fight fate (and talent, will to win, and a manager and staff who make playing fun and relevant).

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #92 of 167
I liked the pitching coaches response when he was asked "What do expect from your bullpen tonight?": "Hopefully not alot."

And he sure didn't get alot.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #93 of 167
Seems I'm the only one not surprised by the performance of the Sox starters. They've been doing this all year and there's no reason to believe they won't keep it up.

The White Sox are the hottest team in baseball, winning 10 of their last 11, and have the best pitching as well. It'll take a miracle for the team in DIsneyland to overtake 'em.
cool.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #94 of 167
Joe Buck is really getting on my nerves; he might as well put on an Angels cap and get it over with. He's been almost as bad as Chris Berman during the Sox/Sox ALDS.
mad.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #96 of 167
Can't believe that the umpire did not notice the catcher's interference on Finley's GDIP play. Angels' Finley tried to swing the bat and the catcher put out his glove and touched Finley's bat. Not to mention there are two other plays that White Sox runners were tagged out but were called safe--in instant replay the commentators all thought those were outs. With so many bad calls all favoring the White Sox, I have to say this is the WORST playoff series I have ever seen. A real shame.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #97 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
Can't believe that the umpire did not notice the catcher's interference on Finley's GDIP play. Angels' Finley tried to swing the bat and the catcher put out his glove and touched Finley's bat. Not to mention there are two other plays that White Sox runners were tagged out but were called safe--in instant replay the commentators all thought those were outs. With so many bad calls all favoring the White Sox, I have to say this is the WORST playoff series I have ever seen. A real shame.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Well, I've been liking it so far.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #98 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

So many = what, 4? All favoring the White Sox?

The Game 2 call was not a bad call, but a controversial one. The majority of talking heads have now conceded that the ball did hit the dirt. Joe "I love's me my Angels" Buck still believes it was a catch b/c he was so vehement about it on Tuesday's telecast. He can't admit he is (or even might be) wrong. It's called Gigantic Ego Syndrome. It has a tendency to be prevalent among the rich and famous. It is even worse when sports are involved. This is why he's such a condescending egomaniacal prick.

Then there's the double play (the neighborhood play) that the Sox didn't get. Like McCarver said, 99 times out of 100 that's an out. Iguchi would have stepped on the bag if it was a call that had ever went against him. That's one for the halos.

That leaves the other 3 calls tonight.

Your manager plainly said after the game that those calls didn't matter one bit b/c his team was clearly outplayed tonight. And they were. Angels, meet woodshed.

So there.

The umpiring has not cost you the series; you are not a Cubs fan, do not make ludicrous statements and ridiculous excuses. It is not the worst series you have ever seen (at least not b/c you were "robbed"). You saw history tonight -- no AL team has thrown 3 consecutive complete games in the playoffs. There's nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due.

The real shame is that a couple of disputable calls are overshadowing the White Sox' dominating postseason. The fact of the matter is, the White Sox are going to win this series, umpiring be damned. The National Media has always had it in for the ChiSox, looking for every little reason to them (Has a 99-win team EVER been so derided?) But that's alright; it'll be that much sweeter when they win.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #102 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow
So many = what, 4? All favoring the White Sox?

The Game 2 call was not a bad call, but a controversial one. The majority of talking heads have now conceded that the ball did hit the dirt. Joe "I love's me my Angels" Buck still believes it was a catch b/c he was so vehement about it on Tuesday's telecast. He can't admit he is (or even might be) wrong. It's called Gigantic Ego Syndrome. It has a tendency to be prevalent among the rich and famous. It is even worse when sports are involved. This is why he's such a condescending egomaniacal prick.

Then there's the double play (the neighborhood play) that the Sox didn't get. Like McCarver said, 99 times out of 100 that's an out. Iguchi would have stepped on the bag if it was a call that had ever went against him. That's one for the halos.

That leaves the other 3 calls tonight.

Your manager plainly said after the game that those calls didn't matter one bit b/c his team was clearly outplayed tonight. And they were. Angels, meet woodshed.

So there.

The umpiring has not cost you the series; you are not a Cubs fan, do not make ludicrous statements and ridiculous excuses. It is not the worst series you have ever seen (at least not b/c you were "robbed"). You saw history tonight -- no AL team has thrown 3 consecutive complete games in the playoffs. There's nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due.

The real shame is that a couple of disputable calls are overshadowing the White Sox' dominating postseason. The fact of the matter is, the White Sox are going to win this series, umpiring be damned. The National Media has always had it in for the ChiSox, looking for every little reason to them (Has a 99-win team EVER been so derided?) But that's alright; it'll be that much sweeter when they win.

Not sure I've ever seen a more unobjective fan.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, I agree with Ferbose -- certainly a poorly officiated series from any objective standpoint. And the game 2 call was not just controversial, it was a bad call (and most are NOT conceding the ball hit the dirt, as it did not).

Still, the White Sox played great, they beat the Angels in every category, and they clearly deserved to win and go to the Series. The fact that this was a sloppily called series and that the game 2 call was atrocious does not change that, and the outcome of the series was determined by great Sox pitching, great Sox hitting, and really bad Angel hitting, and not by the high school-level officiating of the umpire crew that worked these games.

Best of luck to the White Sox and their fans in the World Series.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #103 of 167
"One of the 5 worst calls ever in the MLB playoffs."

Remember that? Yeah, that's objective. Let me know when your b-day is and I'll send you a dictionary.
biggrin.gif

And when I said most talking heads have said it probably hit the dirt, I wasn't referring to Angel fans/columnists. But I forgot, you guys are objective, and anyone else w/ a differing opinion is the most unobjective fan you've ever seen. My bad.

Call me unobjective if you want -- that's fine -- but I would point to the fact that I posted on a White Sox board after the game and stated that I thought the ball was indeed caught and Eddings had f'ed up. It wasn't until I saw the play from a different angle that it became apparent that it was trapped and not caught. If you like, I can post a link, if you don't believe me. I am a fairly objective fan, and it pisses me off when the other team's fans piss and moan and make excuses. I see that far too often being around Cubs fans. I guess I'm a little over-sensitive to it. Again, my bad.

You guys should have won the series. On behalf of the White Sox, I'm so, so sorry.

Oct 17, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #104 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow
"One of the 5 worst calls ever in the MLB playoffs."

Remember that? Yeah, that's objective. Let me know when your b-day is and I'll send you a dictionary.
biggrin.gif

And when I said most talking heads have said it probably hit the dirt, I wasn't referring to Angel fans/columnists. But I forgot, you guys are objective, and anyone else w/ a differing opinion is the most unobjective fan you've ever seen. My bad.

Call me unobjective if you want -- that's fine -- but I would point to the fact that I posted on a White Sox board after the game and stated that I thought the ball was indeed caught and Eddings had f'ed up. It wasn't until I saw the play from a different angle that it became apparent that it was trapped and not caught. If you like, I can post a link, if you don't believe me. I am a fairly objective fan, and it pisses me off when the other team's fans piss and moan and make excuses. I see that far too often being around Cubs fans. I guess I'm a little over-sensitive to it. Again, my bad.

You guys should have won the series. On behalf of the White Sox, I'm so, so sorry.

As a lifelong Cubs hater and Sox fan, this has got to be the sweetest day ever. Did you see Mayor Daley crying last night? He despises the Cubs and loves the Sox as much as anybody and it's great to finally see the team that has put in the work get this far. My(soon to be Ex) wife and all the other silly Cubs fans can do nothing but continue to gripe. Hopefully this will motivate the Cubs and their stupid fans to seek a winner and either jump on the Sox bandwagon or strongly encourage the Cubs to build a winning franchise.

I can feel Angels fans pain as I too think there were far too many goofy calls. We can all see that the Angels never really had a chance and stats like the batting and on-base averages really paint a picture of a team that lost far,far worse than the scores indicate. I would love to have seen that series played out with a bit less controversy but I still say Umpires don't score runs or throw pitches and the good teams overcome the bad calls.

This is heaven for a lifelong fan like me. I remember standing outside the old park at the player's entrance harassing the opposing players and hawking autographs from the players. I also remember that every once in a while(not often) they'd let all the kids standing by the fence in the park for free after the third inning. Those are some great memories and I hope they'll be even better with a Sox Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back