MLB: Boston vs NY
Oct 20, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #61 of 139
Hats off to the Bo Sox!!! I can't believe how hard and willing they are too win and not give up!

But why has no one talked of the two controversial (or obviously clear call based on the re-play) plays of todays game?? First off, I think what the most expensive player in baseball did today was the most childish, immature, "cry-baby attempt at getting his way" thing I've seen in a long time. It perhaps was matched by Roger Clemens "accidentally" "tossing" the bat at the pitcher (I think it was?), which happened a few years back. I can understand the frustration the Yanks must have with being only one game away from going onto the world series...but intentionally swating/swinging your hands at the glove of a player who was cleary going to tag him out looked as if Alex was throwing a temper tantrum because of his hit not producing what he had wanted given the situation with Jeter in possible scoring position!!! It just makes me question the morality of a person...who I thought I had respect for...when he does something like that. Even if it was a gut reaction to do something like that, I still think Alex should have been thrown the hell out of the game for being such a sore loser on a single play/one at bat!!

And the Yankee fans throwing stuff onto the field was un-called for by far. Everyone knows, and should know, that when you go to a game and sit in the stands, your view of something/close play, possibly hundreds of feet away, is not nearly or even close as good a perspective of what both the umpires sees (and can rightfully dispute after the fact) as well as what the viewers see at home. The re-play cleary showed that the hit was a home run...and Matsui (sp?) knew it right away until he decided that, maybe we can get away with it since the ball bounced back onto the field. The fans therefore had no reason to cry as much as they did to try and disrupt the game from continuing on. I would have thought the NY fans would have had more respect for the game itself in addition to more respect for all the people who did nothing to disrupt the game? But I guess I was wrong. And I also again understand that playoff time often makes the players and fans "on edge," but that is no justification for reacting the way they did. At the same time, these things happen from time to time and they show that some people take sports far too seriously, letting it affect them to the point where they can act irrationally towards a simple controversial call...which btw happens all the time and is nothing new...no umpire is 100% perfect. Why do you think the sport of football now allows one challenge call per game that gives the refs the chance to look a call over again using slow-motion instant re-play!?!

Anyways, that just the distaste that todays game left in my mind after seeing people react the way they did today.

Oct 20, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #62 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
First off, I think what the most expensive player in baseball did today was the most childish, immature, "cry-baby attempt at getting his way" thing I've seen in a long time. ...but intentionally swating/swinging your hands at the glove of a player who was cleary going to tag him out looked as if Alex was throwing a temper tantrum because of his hit not producing what he had wanted given the situation with Jeter in possible scoring position!!!

You got that right. Mr. A-Rod violated Major League rule # 7.09
rolleyes.gif

The officiating was pretty good tonight. I'm glad these guys are finally consulting, and willing to over-rule one another. Ortiz was obviously safe at 2nd last night, but Jeter did an excellent job of covering that up with his quick wrist.

Just in case someone didn't see it, or don't believe it......................

NYY151102000_lower.jpg

Oct 20, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #63 of 139
Those are some good pics spaceman!
I'm sorry, but those pictures are just flat out SAD! In addition to swating the the glove in attempt to knock the ball out, Alex didn't even touch first...by a couple of feet...and continued to try to skate by unnoticed while trying to take second on a play in which he broke two rules!!! Did he think the umps, or the millions of people watching wouldn't see him???
rolleyes.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #64 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Meech, don't dream. it's not going to take the Yankees three games to get one more win --.

LOL, you were saying?
tongue.gif
Man, who would have thunk it?!?
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #65 of 139
Hey, Sox fans.
You will have to win tonights game or all of these heroics will not be remembered.

Now beating the Yankees will not release the curse.
(I know its just better for BoSox fans this way.
wink.gif
)
You will also need to win a world series.
After decimating both pitching staffs can either one of these teams beat the Cards?
confused.gif

BTW, any one who would argue the Arod call is an even more rabid Yankee fan than I.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #66 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Go SOX!!!!! Beat the defilers of everything sacred!

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
The Lakers?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey, I was just thinking that.
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #67 of 139
Latest info about starting pitchers for tonight's game 7:
Boston:Lowe vs NY:Brown or possibly Vazquez

BTW......are BoSox close to setting some record for hitting into double plays yet? Seems there are a couple every game!

Beltran-Astros
This is the amazing story......this guy will break every record for post season play. He has already tied HR record with 8 and slugging percentage is literally off the charts at 1.15! He would normally be walked but is almost automatic to steal 2nd with his speed, and his fielding is stellar......also free agent next year
k1000smile.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #68 of 139
Red Sox Fans..........question about sox
Why do some players have uniform pant legs that cut-off below knees fully exposing trademark "red sox" and some players wear longer pants that expose no sox? (seems they should all decide to do it one way and not look like two different uniforms)

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #69 of 139
I sure hope they win tonight, on principle. At this point, the world series would be extra, and I could take it or leave it, but to win this series would be pretty well-deserved, I think. Of course what you deserve counts for nothing!

What a game. Once again, incredible. Just when you think you have seen it all, things get even tighter the next night. I have not watched baseball this good in many years.

My hat is off to the umps for making fair calls, and that has nothing to do with being a bosox fan... the replays make it pretty clear-cut. But again, you have to abide their decision, even if they are totally wrong, which is often the case
rolleyes.gif
. Glad to see some fair calls made.

As for the Yanks fans, whew... they were acting like... like the way RED SOX FANS usually act! Pretty bad. I am not proud of many of our fans, way over the top.

And my final unsolicited opinionated comment: Rodriguez is a poor sportsman. Great abilities in the game, but who cares if you can't be a good sport. What a bunch of BS that whole move was, and then to see Jeter all upset by it as well... I hope he sees the replays and can relax and accept it was a stupid move, but somehow I doubt it. Just go catch another ball and flash those teeth. They are a great team (Yanks) and typically gentlemanly and sportsmanlike, so it was pretty disappointing to see.

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #70 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Why do some players have uniform pant legs that cut-off below knees fully exposing trademark "red sox" and some players wear longer pants that expose no sox? (seems they should all decide to do it one way and not look like two different uniforms)

I dunno, but Pedro is the worst offender in the super-long pants category! You can't even see the heels of his shoes usually. Maybe it's some superstitious thing.

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #71 of 139
Can someon e explain the BoSox batting helmets to me? Some of 'em look burned or just hammered on the front where the team logo is.
Can't remember now which players.
CPW

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #72 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Can someon e explain the BoSox batting helmets to me? Some of 'em look burned or just hammered on the front where the team logo is.
Can't remember now which players.
CPW

Caked up and coated with nasty mixtures of:
-dust
-pine tar
-mystery sticky stuff
-spit/tobacco juice
tongue.gif

Do you see that nasty habit Ortiz has of spitting into his batting gloves between pitches.

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #73 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Can't remember now which players. CPW

Talking bout Cabrera??? Maybe this trick (hiding red sox, erasing boston on helmet) is working for bosox. Perhaps God can't see who they're...thus can't curse no longer.
Ugly to see these un-uniform, but it seems to work against the curse.
icon10.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #75 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel

Originally, when they first started playing professional baseball, the dresswear for many sports was knickers and knee socks (especially golf, rugby, football). Tennis and cricket were "lawn games" as opposed to field games, and so required long, white trousers.

That's why you always see baseball players from the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's in their woolen knickers and kneesocks no matter how hot it was. Over time, the length of the knickers (or leggings) got longer and longer. Sometime in the 60's, under the influence (I believe) of Charlie O. Finley, the owner of the Oakland Athletics, the uniform requirements were changed (not just for the leggings, but also wrt undershirts, overshirts, colors, etc.) That's when you started to see all the brightly colored uniforms and ankle length leggings. Until a few years ago, the leggings were required to be short enough to show the sox that the players were wearing (sox were part of the uniform).

As recently as 3 years ago, the commissioner was fining players for wearing leggings that covered the sox! Now, the requirement to show the sox seems to have been changed. No player is fined, no matter how long his leggings are, and the choice to wear the long leggings or the shorter ones with knee socks is left to the player. You will see more pitchers than other fielders wearing the high sox because they explain that paired with their leg action (usually a high kick, it becomes more distracting to the batter, or it is more concealing) they get better results with their pitching. Examples on the Yankees: El Duque uses the knee sox, whereas the Moose has the longer leggings. Then again, Alfonso Soriano wore the high sox too, but he's the only fielder I can think of in the sox on the Yankees (if anyone can give another example, please help). For a brief period, while Clemens was on the Yankees, he experimented with the knee sox (recommended to him by Hernandez).

BTW, has anyone noticed that football uniforms still use the knickers and sox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back