MLB 08 playoff thread
Sep 24, 2008 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
All right, I know there are few more games left, and it's starting to get interesting for playoff spots!

White sox vs Twins for Central AL spot.
Phillies vs. Mets for Eastern NL spot,
Dodgers vs. D-backs for West NL spot.

Wild card race for NL is far from over as well - with Mets/Brewers/ and outside chance Astros in the mix.

Angels had more than few weeks of takin' it easy - would this help this team? or would it hurt the angels? At least they've been preety hot and K-rod should be a huge factor in the playoffs
wink.gif

Red soxs look better than ever, as they are getting hot in the right time
wink.gif
Jason Bay seems like the right piece of the puzzle so far.

Cubbie's pitching has been fairly good as well - I just wish I can see more of their games.

And the Rays - this looks like the real deal. Some power from all over the lineup, and good pitching - is this a sleeper pick for the 'series?

And the dodgers - despite key injuries, they seem to be keeping it up. Manny also seems like a good fit here as well.

Who's going to see the post-season? Who do you think will get the ultimate glory this year?

I know these threads can get heated, so let's keep this civil.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 66
I say a Red Line series between Cubs and White Sox. Of course, the way the White Sox have been playing lately, I'm not so sure..

I was unable to get any tickets to see the Cubs in the NLDS, but I was able to get tickets to game 4 of the ALDS if the White Sox make it.

As long as they don't play each other, I want both Chicago teams to win. Otherwise, I am pulling for the Cubs. My girlfriend is a huge White Sox fan, and me being an enormous Cubs fan, we kind of converted each other to support both teams.

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 66
I'm hoping for a Yankees vs. Cardinals WS...

wink.gif

If history is any indication, it's going to be the Rays or Cubs. Lots of expansion teams, and teams that haven't won in a long time have been successful recently. Edge to Cubs, but the Rays are scary.

No love for the Red Sox... ever. I hope the entire team has to go on the DL because of the nasty rug burns they suffer from all the "romping" they do with one another in the clubhouse.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boston looks very good. they are probably the team to beat.

*shrug*
Assuming Carlos Zambrano stops sucking, the Cubs playoff rotation looks pretty good.
Ryan Dempster
Rich Harden
Carlos Zambrano
Ted Lilly.
Probably the best top 3 starting pitchers in baseball.
On the other hand, they are the Cubs.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 66
If I remember correctly, the Angels have not beaten the Red Sox in a playoff series lately. Given that the Sox will be the wild card, I'll predict they'll win in 5 games vs the Angels. The NL is a tossup if you ask me.

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boston looks very good. they are probably the team to beat.

Um... no.

The Rays are a better team. So are the Angels. So are the Cubs.

But I think LA is the most dangerous team, and they do have the best record in the game. In terms of who is hottest right now, it's TB.

We'll see, though. When the Sox are one game from ALCS elimination, they seem to win all their remaining games (look that one up... '04, '07).

But they are facing very stiff competition this year. These might be the most exciting playoffs in decades.

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not even for Jason Bay?
frown.gif
-> HUGE improvement over manny btw, and younger and less injury-prone.

OK, I'll bite. I've been a Red Sox fan for 21 years, so you know where I'm coming from, but even though it appears that Jason Bay is better fit in the clubhouse and is pretty good player in his own right however he is NOT better that Manny Ramirez. Since the trade Manny has 17 hr, 53 rbi and is batting .398 in 50 games for the Dodgers.
Jason Bay has 9 hr, 37 rbi and is batting .303 in 46 games for the Sox. Now Bays number are respectable but he is nowhere near the caliber of hitter that Manny Ramirez is.

I think the Red Sox vs. LA Dodgers in the world series would be very interesting though.

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um... no.

The Rays are a better team. So are the Angels. So are the Cubs.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in what ways are the Rays better than the Red Sox besides having a better overall record. I think if you were to break down each individual position of each team I think the Sox may end up coming out on top. Hell, the Angels and Cubies are even better than the Rays. All I know is that this years playoffs should be interesting, even if Yankees aren't there.

Another thing too is that the years the Sox won the WS they also faced stiff competition those years as well. I don't see how this season should be different than the previous ones.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I'll bite. I've been a Red Sox fan for 21 years, so you know where I'm coming from, but even though it appears that Jason Bay is better fit in the clubhouse and is pretty good player in his own right however he is NOT better that Manny Ramirez. Since the trade Manny has 17 hr, 53 rbi and is batting .398 in 50 games for the Dodgers.
Jason Bay has 9 hr, 37 rbi and is batting .303 in 46 games for the Sox. Now Bays number are respectable but he is nowhere near the caliber of hitter that Manny Ramirez is.

I think the Red Sox vs. LA Dodgers in the world series would be very interesting though.

I mean, bay is now hitting later in the location - but it has been more timely. It was an improvement over what manny was contributing for the team before he was traded. I didn't think BoSoxs had problem producing runs - and I think Jason Bay brings in much better attitude to the locker room.
I mean, Boston has been on fire since the trade - and jason bay had to do something with that
wink.gif

And yes, Manny has been on fire since he got to dodgers - I'm not sure if it would've happened if he stayed in Boston.

Good trade for both teams, and I like Boston's chances this year.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 66
Not sure if Boston is the team to beat this year or not. We have all the right players, but everyone keeps getting hot at different times. Being a part of the Sox Nation I definitely want to see Boston go back to back. If not Boston I'd like to see either the Mets, Dodgers, or Cubs win a Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back