Mjolnir with Bifrost....?
Aug 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mikek200

Headphoneus Supremus
 I'll be getting the Mjolnir in a few weeks,but need to know ,if i will will get optimum results with the Bifrost dac..
I've used the bifrost with the lyr for about 8 months...always perfect SQ with the Lorenz & Mullard tubes I used.

Anyone currently using the above combo?

Can you please give me your impressions?..or link me to other info??

Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mike

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 9
I believe you will get optimal results with the Gungir DAC, considering the Mjolnir is balanced and the Bifrost is unbalanced.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 9
The Bifrost wouldn't be "optimal" but would work. Bifrost is a good DAC at its price and performs very well.
If you could get the Gungnir to pair with Mjolnir you'd have the added benefit of being completely balanced.

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 9
The question would be how much did the mods elevate it? Based on my experience, I'd say marginal.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 9
Like Paradoxper, I find the gap between the Bifrost and Gungnir too wide to be bridged just by moding the Bifrost.

In fact, I went from the Bifrost/Lyr combo to Gungnir/Mjolnir and I was very surprised to find even more improvement from Bifrost to Gungnir than from Lyr to Mjolnir.
Instruments separation is much better with the Gungnir. Bifrost sounds almost muddy in comparison. No "one-note bass" anymore with the Gungnir.

Having next to no experience with DACs, I never expected the Bifrost to be a such a limiting factor to my HP rig.
Not to say that it was bad, no. Just that if you want to fully enjoy the improvements that Mjolnir brings to your setup over the Lyr, then you need to upgrade the DAC too, and the Gungnir is a perfect candidate for this.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
@paradoxper
How and what did you modify on the Bifrost?
MDR

They were not my mods, nor my gear. I've heard a Bifrost and Lyr both modified. Marginal improvements throughout.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Like Paradoxper, I find the gap between the Bifrost and Gungnir too wide to be bridged just by moding the Bifrost.

In fact, I went from the Bifrost/Lyr combo to Gungnir/Mjolnir and I was very surprised to find even more improvement from Bifrost to Gungnir than from Lyr to Mjolnir.
Instruments separation is much better with the Gungnir. Bifrost sounds almost muddy in comparison. No "one-note bass" anymore with the Gungnir.

Having next to no experience with DACs, I never expected the Bifrost to be a such a limiting factor to my HP rig.
Not to say that it was bad, no. Just that if you want to fully enjoy the improvements that Mjolnir brings to your setup over the Lyr, then you need to upgrade the DAC too, and the Gungnir is a perfect candidate for this.

+1 on this,

Got my Gungnir yesterday, was using my bifrost with MJ previously.
The improvement was immediate,and large..
SQ is now ,on a whole new level,the main improvement imho,is the instrument seperation,clarity,& detail
Only slight negative,is the brightness on some om my music,.. I'm being told ,that will tame itself after a few more hours of break in..{ I only have 20 hours  now}

Also,have been using a emo mini to drive my he-6's,..I feel that this is not necessary,and I'm getting excellent results now with my new shiit stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back