Mjolnir + Gungnir
Nov 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

m50man

Head-Fier
Hey guys.. I know there are many people on these forums who just love Schiit.

I have the AKG K712 pro headphones.  Right now the amp/dac solution I am using is the FIIO E17 - don't get me wrong it is a great little unit and a good value for the price, but it definitely leaves room to be desired when using higher quality headphones. I am interested in detail retrieval, soundstaging, clarity, airiness, imaging etc but with a nice low end with some power if that's even possible ;P)

I am looking for a high quality desktop solution and I don't mind spending around 1500 if it's worth it.  At first I was interested in the Lyr 2+ Bifrost combo, but I am a little turned off by tube amps (maintenance) and I also hear the Mjolnir is fantastic when paired with the Gungnir.

I would like to know your thoughts on how the Mjolnir + Gungnir would pair up with my AKG K712 pro's.  I am going to be using my computer as the source (unfortunately my computer has no optical/spdif output, only usb) but I don't know what the future will hold so an adaptable unit is key.  Would the gungnir be overkill for a person just using it on their computer/laptop?  I am the kind of guy that doesn't mind spending a couple hundred more for the quality - I hear Gungnir has the better overall sound, less grainy, etc when compared with Bifrost....

Thoughts/suggestions?

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 2
So since Mjolnir only has a balanced headphone output I am unable to use the AKG K712 pro's with it, unless I send them somewhere to get them re-cabled for balanced operation. 

I wonder how a Gungnir + some other amp combo would compare to the Wa7 fireflies unit with upgraded tube power supply and upgraded 65z tubes (not the stock ones but the upgraded ones they sell for the Wa7 right on their website).  Just trying to figure out if I am better off with an all in one or two separate components - quality is first and foremost for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back