Mixing Music: Pro Headphones or Monitors?
Apr 6, 2005 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cris.rodrigo

New Head-Fier
Greetings All:

I'm the new guy here and I'm just trying to seek some clarification. I'm about to invest in some equipment for music production, but I've been getting different answers as to the best way to mix. Some say I should stick to headphones because of the unpredictable acoustics. I do live in an apartment, if that helps. Others say you should go with monitors, regardless, and set them up appropriately. So, I'm here to ask the tenured professionals: what would you suggest?

I mix mostly hip hop/ electronica. My headphones choice is going to be the Senn. 650s. My monitor choice: Mackie 824's. Let me know and I thank everyone in advance.

Apr 6, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 6
Never mix using headphones if you can avoid it. I engineer CDs, and in my digital workstation because of space limitation, I'm forced to rely on cans. This means that I have to "parallel park" my adjustments... burning off CDs and carrying them to my monitor system, then going back and tweaking and burning off again. I would never choose to work this way.

See ya
Steve

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cris.rodrigo
Greetings All:

I'm the new guy here and I'm just trying to seek some clarification. I'm about to invest in some equipment for music production, but I've been getting different answers as to the best way to mix. Some say I should stick to headphones because of the unpredictable acoustics. I do live in an apartment, if that helps. Others say you should go with monitors, regardless, and set them up appropriately. So, I'm here to ask the tenured professionals: what would you suggest?

I mix mostly hip hop/ electronica. My headphones choice is going to be the Senn. 650s. My monitor choice: Mackie 824's. Let me know and I thank everyone in advance.

I would also look into the JBL 4412 Monitors, the former 4411 replcement...I use the older similar model JBL 4411s for home use, not mixing use, but my 4411s are fantastic accurate speakers for sure, designed and intened for mixing work.

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 6
Bigshot & Zeno,

Thanks for the prompt responses. I really do appreciate it. Well Bigshot, I'm at least glad you didn't say "use both!" I thought each may have their own virtues, but if you encounter those kind of issues, I think I will just stick with the monitors.

Zeno,

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll do some research.

Thanks again!

Apr 6, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 6
I'll second the recommendation on the JBLs.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back