Mixing Application
Aug 10, 2007 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jay B

Head-Fier
I'm really into trance music and one of the great things about it is it's really good for compiling long mixes of it. I'd like to get an application that can take MP3s and mix them together to make a single 1 hour MP3.

If anyone knows possible forums or websites for me to look for this type of thing that would be useful too.

Here are some features that I'm looking for:
- fade in/out
- be able to add several MP3's and easily order them
- it would be nice if each MP3 went on its own separate horizontal layer, that way you can easily line them up
- be able to select only part of an MP3 *this is important because I have a lot of 1 hour MP3s and I'd just like one song from them

-OR-

A program that can take a long MP3 and quickly and easily extract 1 song from it. I have used programs like Creative Wave Studio and it is a nightmare because it converts the whole MP3 to a WAV first, which takes a looong time for a 1 or 2 hour MP3.

Thanks guys

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 9
Aug 10, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Aug 10, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 9
Traktor is pretty much the standard for mixing on a PC - http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=djline . Also look at Ableton Live if you want some more advanced functionality (although a steeper learning curve) - http://www.ableton.com/

For splitting stuff out of mp3s, try the pcutmp3 tool - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=35654 . You have to give it the points in time you want to extract, but it does it all without decoding to WAV, so you end up with the best quality MP3 possible.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Still haven't quite found what I'm looking for. The suggestions were either for editing a single song, or for mixing live. I'm looking to mix songs into a compilation. I don't want to have to play the songs live as I mix, it would obviously take much longer.

I found this: Acoustica. It does mostly what I'm looking for, but lacks a few key features such as track manipulation and syncing of tracks. It's a little on the low-quality side too. But it's along the right lines.

Traktor was nice, I'm looking for that level of quality.

Any other suggestions?

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 9
If you put Reaper into render mode it will go as fast as your box will let it..

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 9
Yeah Albleton is pretty nice - easy to get the idea of because it's quite graphic. Also Sony Sound Forge would do the job nicely - does the basics a little nicer than some of its competitors...

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 9
I found something that does just what I'm looking for. MixMeister Fusion. It doesn't offer the same versatility as something like Traktor or Ableton Live, but it is prefect for quickly making a mix of many songs that you would put on a CD or a single MP3, without having to mix it live.

If anyone knows of any competing products, I'm still interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back