Mixing and mastering with a $250 budget
Jan 1, 2015 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Danpyre

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a friend who is thinking about making music, and I would like to know what the best setup for mixing and mastering with a budget of $250 (He can go a little above if necessary).
I'm looking for a setup with an open back and a setup with a closed back, because right now he has a roommate that's moving in and he needs to ask if that roommate is OK with open (or if the roommate is too loud).
He doesn't have a problem with an amp, but I don't think a DAC will be a good investment at this price range.
I'm looking forward to everyone's suggestions.  Thank you.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 11
  OK what does he have that will feed these cans?  PC on board audio?  A sound card?  Something not computer based?

He will be using PC on board audio.  I guess an amp/DAC would be good to replace the sound card if we're using headphones that require amping.
EDIT: I never really liked the idea of an amp/DAC, because I figured separate upgrades would be more convenient. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 11
Closed: KRK KNS 8400

Open: Sony MDR-MA900

He should spend the balance of the $500 on a good sound card or external DAC or DAC/amp.  Neither of these cans require an amp, but the KRK would benefit from even a modest one.  Others will have to make specific recommendations, as I do not do my serious music listening by way of a computer.

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 11
  Closed: KRK KNS 8400

Open: Sony MDR-MA900

He should spend the balance of the $500 on a good sound card or external DAC or DAC/amp.  Neither of these cans require an amp, but the KRK would benefit from even a modest one.  Others will have to make specific recommendations, as I do not do my serious music listening by way of a computer.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 11
  I've heard good things about the Schiit Fulla, do you think that would be good with the KNS 8400?

It's brand new and has had production problems, delaying early orders.  Having problems is fairly common for Schiit early releases.  I have not yet heard it in any system.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 11
Originally Posted by KG Jag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's brand new and has had production problems, delaying early orders.  Having problems is fairly common for Schiit early releases.  I have not yet heard it in any system.

OK, good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back