Mixer as phono stage + amp?
Nov 13, 2002 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ohoen

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm new here so excuse me if this has been covered extensively (I couldn't find much with a search). I'm just wondering about using a DJ mixer as a phono stage + headphone amp. Specifically, how will the sound quality compare with, say, a HeadRoom AirHead and a decent phono stage? I ask because I have two TTs (1210MK2 and SLD2) and plan to get a cheap mixer to do a little bedroom DJing anyway. So would it make more sense to spend a bit more and get something like a Rane and use that for all my listening, too? About half my listening is rock so I need an amp that will work well for that, and techno.
Thanks a lot,
Oliver

Nov 14, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 2
I use Mackie 1202 mixer as as headphone amp, and it sounds very good. It has lot of headroom, and driving Sennheiser hd600 is not a problem at all.

There is other piece of pro audio gear I found very useful - SPL vitalizer MKII. That thing has stereo expander which works by mixing components of oposite channels out of phase. This helps headphone listening. Also you can achieve similar effect by feeding left and right output from cd player to two mono channels on your mixer and not panning them to the left an right to the full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back