Mixamp, Amp/Dac Question?
May 6, 2020 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Deehoc

New Head-Fier
Hello,
So ive been looking for a new headset for gaming, music etc. Ive more or less figured out what i want but the issue comes in with my current setup. I currently have astro a40's with mixamp that i've had for what seems like forever. I currently run my Pc and my Nintendo Switch into my mixamp. I can play switch and still be on pc in discord with my friends and whatnot and receive audio from both. I'm curious if i have options to use something other than my astro mixamp to get multiple sources of audio to the headset, Yet still power a headset like the 6xx or possibly more. Currently im restricted to headsets at around a 32ohm frequency because thats about all the mixamp will power. What are my options? do they make all in one amp/dac/mixers. Very new to all this so any information is appreciated. Thanks in advanced people! Look Forward to my dive into a higher tier of audio!

May 6, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 8
Astro Mix-amp should be able to drive (at least decently) headphones up to 150-Ohm.
I'm guessing there is fairly little demand for the feature your looking for, so very few products support what you want to do.
But you can usually daisy chain a external headphone amplifier, off the Astro Mix-amps headphone jack.

May 6, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Astro Mix-amp should be able to drive (at least decently) headphones up to 150-Ohm.
I'm guessing there is fairly little demand for the feature your looking for, so very few products support what you want to do.
But you can usually daisy chain a external headphone amplifier, off the Astro Mix-amps headphone jack.
Awesome! Good to know. i kinda figured this was a little niche because i was finding 0 answers through google and whatnot. So with that being said with mainly gaming in mind and some music you seem to have a big collection of headphones. Do you recommend anything in particular? kinda stuck on K7xx, Dt990, 6XX. all seem to be in a similar realm. Thanks again!

May 6, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Awesome! Good to know. i kinda figured this was a little niche because i was finding 0 answers through google and whatnot. So with that being said with mainly gaming in mind and some music you seem to have a big collection of headphones. Do you recommend anything in particular? kinda stuck on K7xx, Dt990, 6XX. all seem to be in a similar realm. Thanks again!
The HD6XX may not be the best choice for FPS gaming and it usually does best connected to tube headphone amplifier or high powered solid state headphone amplifier.
I own the K7XX and DT990, but never use them, prefer others.
Check out the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP200 open headphones, they are somewhat like the sound of the DT990 or HD6XX.

May 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 8
The HD6XX may not be the best choice for FPS gaming and it usually does best connected to tube headphone amplifier or high powered solid state headphone amplifier.
I own the K7XX and DT990, but never use them, prefer others.
Check out the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP200 open headphones, they are somewhat like the sound of the DT990 or HD6XX.
Will do, thanks. For the sake of asking have a recommendation for closed backs?

May 6, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 8
What kind of budget are you looking at on the closed backs ?

May 6, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back