mITX Soundcard
Dec 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tastyrabbit

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a mITX Z87 Gaming (from MSI). It has Creative Cinema as part of its features. 

I'm planning on driving a Beyer T1 set with it. 

I wanted to buy a separate sound card I can use with my PC but I don't have a spare PCI slot.

I was thinking of getting the Sound Blaster E5 - or maybe even the X7 (its over £300).

The max I would spend would be about the X7 level.

What would you recommend?

It has to be able to do Virtual Surround - I quite like the Creative Cinema Surround on my motherboard.

I would also be happier if I had a system I could put on a new PC in the future. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Why would you get an expensive external soundcard if your on-board sound already has comparable features? Doesn't that red mobo have virtual surround? That said the X7 has a lot of other things going for it, like a built-in speaker amp and supposedly more powerful headphone driver stage.

Also a DAC-HPamp that can take an SPDIF signal compatible with the output on your mobo can work with it too.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 5
  I have a mITX Z87 Gaming (from MSI). It has Creative Cinema as part of its features. 
I'm planning on driving a Beyer T1 set with it. 
I wanted to buy a separate sound card I can use with my PC but I don't have a spare PCI slot.
I was thinking of getting the Sound Blaster E5 - or maybe even the X7 (its over £300).
The max I would spend would be about the X7 level.
What would you recommend?
It has to be able to do Virtual Surround - I quite like the Creative Cinema Surround on my motherboard.
I would also be happier if I had a system I could put on a new PC in the future. 

You can get an external DAC with an optical input and connect it to the optical output on your motherboard.
The motherboard's built in audio hardware should be able to send the Creative Cinema processed audio out thru the optical port.

I use the Audio-GD NFB-1532, external DAC amp.
Here is the slightly newer revision, the NFB-15
Comes with USB, optical & coaxial inputs
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

The NFB-15 would cost you around 217 GBP + shipping (37 GBP?).

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 5
Just get Razer Surround Pro for virtual sound.  It's free and works with any sound source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back