Missing songs after iPod sync
Oct 29, 2007 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been noticing this for a long time but I still wonder why my iPod is missing a couple dozen songs that are present in iTunes. I have approx. 6,500 songs mostly all in mp3.

I can only guess that the format is wrong(but that doesn't make much sense)??
...some errors in the files that prevent transfer??

Any answers or guidance is appreciated.

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which OS are you using? my laptop uses windows vista and it doesn't get along with my iPod at all. XP does much better.

I'm using XP on a crappy Compaq.

Oct 29, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 10
If the songs are showing up in iTunes, but not on your iPod it may be because it's sorting tags are pushing it elsewhere on your iPod. Does the number of songs on the iPod match up with that of iTunes?

Oct 29, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 10
I used to have a similar problem with iTunes, but rather than go missing on my iPod, the songs went missing from my computer, meaning the file path seemed to "break". I solved it by "consolidating my library" every so often... perhaps you could try this?

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the songs are showing up in iTunes, but not on your iPod it may be because it's sorting tags are pushing it elsewhere on your iPod. Does the number of songs on the iPod match up with that of iTunes?

The number of songs in iTunes is approx. 25 higher than what shows on my iPod.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by allysan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have a similar problem with iTunes, but rather than go missing on my iPod, the songs went missing from my computer, meaning the file path seemed to "break". I solved it by "consolidating my library" every so often... perhaps you could try this?

What's odd is that I've seen the number of missing songs decrease down to less than 10. I sometimes get the message that "xxxx song could not be copied to iPod because it could not be found"

Maybe I'll try consolidating libary.

Thanks guys.

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 10
If you can, you should look for a few little ! marks on the far left column. It may be that you moved a couple of your songs and iTunes doesn't know where they went.
Just an idea...

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by axiom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can, you should look for a few little ! marks on the far left column. It may be that you moved a couple of your songs and iTunes doesn't know where they went.
Just an idea...

I have seen that ! before I think but I keep my mp3 files on an external HD and have never moved anything because I know how picky iTunes is. I could never figure out why a few files could not be found by iTunes...I figured it was just a glitch.

I did look at using the "consolidate library" option but it looks like it moves all files into iTunes music folder which I wouldn't want to do because I have 3 other DAPs and a USB drive that I sync randomly to the 53 GB mp3 folder that iTunes uses.

Oct 30, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Ok, based on the many thousands of views for this thread I know you all have been losing sleep wondering just how Dane's mystery will unfold.
tongue.gif

...well this is it folks, I've figured it out.

Duplicates in iTunes do not double copy to the iPod

Alright now, get some sleep.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back