missing link, a better amp?
Jan 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chrisjsmith11

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

My first post
smily_headphones1.gif
hello !

2 things before I start, just to fill in some background.

1) I am an out and out audio-nut (hate the word audiophile), but to date - not a headphone kind of guy. That is beginning to change. I mention this, to put the perspective that I have heard Grados, Sennheisser 600s, Beyerdynamic (owned a pair of those with a creek headphone amp once), Jays and Sure IEMs, Senheisser in-ear headphones, oh yes and at a high-end audio show, I heard the full range of Stax headphones too.

2) I don't like 'in-ear' headphones. I find them painful and uncomfortable for longer than 1/2 an hour. I'm a ''big pair of cans'' kind of guy. Sorry, no ear-canal type stuff for me.

So, on with the thread.

My current 'headphone type' listening equipment.

1 x pair of Senheisser cx300 (for when I'm too embarrased to walk down the street with big phones on, hardly ever use these for reason (2) above.

1 x pair of Senheisser green things for the gym with a volume control and a crocodile clip. These sound really awful.

1 x pair of Koss KSC75 - on order to arrive any day. To replace 'green things' for the gym. Looking forward to this. I might use them to 'walk down the street' aswell. Lets see.

1 x pair Bose On-Ear - bought because 1) they're not too big to feel like a d**k. They sound nearly as good as full size audiophile cans. They have decent passive noise isolation with their memory foam pads.

1 x Senheisser PXC350 - on order to arrive any day. I fly a lot, because I love travelling. Needed some over-the head cans with noise cancelling. I wonder how hard they are to drive and what they sound like passively? Hopefully good.

Sources:

1 x Ipod Classic 80gb. I actually hate Itunes. Hate it. Hate it for it's stupid idiosyncracies and what it does to your files on the PC, not for sound quality...But, I've done everything required to make it work, and now for 'hastle factor' I'm sticking with the Ipod in it's stock guise with Itunes (no rockbox thanks).

With the Classic I have a 'line out' gadget on the bottom, and a cable to run it into an external amp.

1 x Cheap 2gig solid state player for the gym.

Amps:

1 x Cmoy thing. It takes a 9v battery and is in a 'penguin mint' type box. I bought it from Ebay.

Impressions/thoughts/ problems/ what's going on?

Well now.

AREAS OF HAPPINESS...
1) Ipod. It has 877 albums on it. What's to complain about?
2) My bose phones. I know it's like saying a rival football club to some, but I love them so nerr !

AREAS OF UNCERTAINTY
1) The Senheisser PXC350. I read around a LOT.. thanks headfi for the articles on this. I have been lurking and reading them. I hope they are good cans, and the noise cancelling works for me. Either way, I bet they will be the best phones for the plane out of my tiny arsenal.

AREAS OF GENERAL DISSATISFACTION.
Amps.
The creek amp I had a couple of years ago - frankly sounded no better than my PC's sound card/headphone 'out' - and it wasn't even a seperate sound-card, just on the mother board!...
My Cmoy amp - has more gain than the Ipod - necessary for the Bose, which run at near full volume on the Ipod, but 4/10 on the Cmoy/line out/Ipod... but apart from the extra gain, sounds near- identical at similar volumes.

In essence, my general dissatisfaction with amps is that the could I've heard really didn't make a big enough 'sonic' difference to justify their existance.

I'd readilly blow - lets say $150 (£75 ish) on a better head-amp (DIY or finished), but I don't want to bother for 'marginal' sound quality differences. It's got to be ''in another league'' or not at all.

As such, I'm wondering the following....

CONCLUSION...

1) best portable amp for PXC350/On-ears, Ipod and line-out
2) do they do ''money back'' in the UK if I find the difference marginal?
3) The ipod has always been a bit ''thin and tinny sounding'' to my ears. It's not bad, but it's 'not good' either. What amp would compliment this best?

I think that's about it.

I am interested in thoughts !

Cheers

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 6
oh yes, in addition to the above ... is there a ''sweet spot'' at which portable amps suddenly get 'loads better and really serious?

If so, what do you need to blow for a really knock out sound?

( am concerned my $150 limit may be a little scrooge-y)

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 6
further thoughts - the 'Ibasso D4' seems to be the highest rated portable amp for the least cash in the list that someone (magnificently!) did.

Anyone tried that with an Ipood? - I notice that the bass is boostable at 2 frequency ranges. This may help the somewhat lacklustre bass of the Classic.. ?

Lastly a quick 'google' this amp is usd $219. In the UK it is £224... about $400 ! (what the hell?!

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi Gotwake !

Just bought a usb DAC from a forum member, so now am back to thoughts on an amp to replace the CMOY. I now know more about what I want, so the field is narrowing..

1) At least 30 hours on a rechargeable battery
2) Preference for USB power
3) Sounds full, with a rich tone
4) Plenty of drive, for most headphones
5) Small
6) Can be left on a USB charger 24/7 if I want to use it stationary at a PC
7) DAC not needed

I think that's all.... back to the drawing board !

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi All...

I've seen the RSA (tiny) amplifier that fits this bill, but its too dear for me. What a battery life though, and the size !! :O

I wonder if there's somethng a little larger that still has a USB rechargeable battery life (30+ hours)... that's the key thing... and the sound quality of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back