Missing $500 package..
Oct 10, 2008 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

david21

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure what I should do or if I should be worried... but maybe someone who had experienced this can give me some advice.

I purchased a 32gb iTouch 2g and a Apple Docking Station totaling about $480 from CircuitCity.com. According to the tracking information, the items were delivered last week but nobody was home at that time so Fedex "supposedly" left it at the front door at 5:40pm. On that day, I got home around 6:15pm (yes, 35 minute after the drop off) and my shipment was nowhere to be found.

I immediately called Circuit City at 6:20 the same day and explained to them what had happened and was angry as to why the fedex.com said "no signature required" on a $480 order. The rep told me that it's their policy that they do not require signature unless it's over $500. So I then asked for them to investigate the matter and issue me a refund once they complete their investigation. For some reason, I told the rep that I will be purchasing another iTouch from a store because the original order was supposed to be a birthday present for my little brother which was in 3 days (FACT). Don't get me wrong here, I did purchase another iTouch but because I had mentioned that to the rep, I feel that it may have hurt my credibility somehow.

So 5 days passed by, I get a call from a Case Manager from Circuit City and was told that my case was denied. The reason went something like "you have no prior purchase history with us" and "fedex says it was delivered so we [CircuitCity] can't do anything about it." I then asked her about insurance with fedex and the response I got was that I had to call and ask fedex myself.

Now I'm out $480, Circuit City wont refund me for the lost package, and I don't know what I can do other than contact my Credit Card. I've disputed only ONE charge on my credit card in my entire life and that ONE experience was very scary (end result, I won the dispute). But it's the feeling of being powerless and having to wonder IF I get my money back that bothers me, especially for the current situation with Circuit City.

well.. just thought I'd share with you guys.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 21
Got a baseball bat?
evil_smiley.gif

I'd call the Credit Card company. $480 is big chunk of change. It's not some $10 CD that got stolen/ not delivered.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 21
+1 credit card companies will almost always get it done. The only thing is I hope circuit city doesn't argue that you have to make a special request for insurance or signature on delivery beforehand.

Something similar happened to my friend when he ordered something from Newegg(UPS delivered it to a nearby apartment and those ppl signed for it, similar in the sense that he also didn't get the package). Newegg took care of it themselves without hassling him or waiting on UPS like Circuit City is hassling you, so if the credit card company fails keep trying and demand they owe it to you.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 21
How about a Head-Fi boycott of CC? I know I don't care for the place.

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 21
It might be too late but it might be worth calling Fedex and getting put in touch with the actual driver. Ask him where he left the package and what it looked like. Also, ask your immediate neighbors if they grabbed it for you.

Oct 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a Head-Fi boycott of CC? I know I don't care for the place.

I think the boycott started when they (ahem) "let go" some of thier (ahem) "more experienced" employees, awhile back, like last year or something.
It's funny, I drive right past CC on the way to BB and the CC parking lot is empty, only maybe ten cars(employees no doubt), only to get to BB and have to park two blocks away and walk, the parking lot is overflowing.

Oct 10, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 21
I've had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago. Thankfully it was only a $30 package and not a $500. Confirmed as delivered...to someone other than me apparently.

Hopefully you get it all sorted out.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 21
That sucks. I hope it will be sorted out, one way or another.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 21
+1 file filing a claim against the credit card company.
Unless you actually received the package it never reached it destination, and hence you did not get what you paid for. Imo that it...

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 21
update:

I contacted my credit card today and was told that I'd have to wait 15 days AFTER the delivery date to file a dispute. This means I have to wait til the 19th to file a dispute! Arg I hate waiting.

Anyways, I tried reasoning with Circuit City again today but got nowhere since my case had already been 'closed.' I'm starting to wonder if the fedex driver kept the package or one of the kids stole it from my front door (there's a elementary school only 6 houses up from where I live). Oh well, guess I'll wait til the 19th to file a claim.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by david21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
update:

I contacted my credit card today and was told that I'd have to wait 15 days AFTER the delivery date to file a dispute. This means I have to wait til the 19th to file a dispute! Arg I hate waiting.

Anyways, I tried reasoning with Circuit City again today but got nowhere since my case had already been 'closed.' I'm starting to wonder if the fedex driver kept the package or one of the kids stole it from my front door (there's a elementary school only 6 houses up from where I live). Oh well, guess I'll wait til the 19th to file a claim.

That is too bad, I wish the best for you on this matter. Very similar incident involving an amp and FedEx recently happened to me a few months back. FedEx driver knows me too, FedEx never did anything with crediting either and closed the case because it was delivered "to front door step". Never did receive the package and had to fight like crazy with the eBay seller whom finally took ultimate responsibility for the matter and refunded. It was a long process but worthy of keeping on top of, hope your situation works out. One thing, I would not purchase anything from Circuit City anymore. I would also make certain that the manager whom you spoke with is cognizant of all pertinent informaton and as pertaining to this lack of customer service for this error, and stemming from a transaction at his/her store.

Good Luck

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 21
Also contact your States Attorney Generals office. They can help you in cases like this by calling CC for you and doing investigation. Big Companies normally respond much better to the AG than to normal folk like us. Bank Of America once kept bugging me about a stupid error that they admitted they made on their end (closed an account they left 1 penny in it and then charged me 5 bucks for not having least 100... I closed out with a teller so it was their fault yet they kept hounding me 5 calls a day for 4.99). I called the AG and after a single phone call from the AG to BofA they called me and said sorry and told me it had been solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back