Missed Opportunity
Aug 7, 2005 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hier

Head-Fier
Having decided to buy an iPod and go down the line-out-amp route I came across the following:

http://simpl.com/products.html

What a missed opportunity. If only the manufacturer had opted to connect the amp via the line-out, this amp would have been perfect for iPod users.

Obviously you could still rig a cable to the line-out, but since this particular amp is designed for an iPod, it would have been useful to have an inbuilt line-out connection in the base of the amp.

When will designers actually do some research, instead of creating something that just looks good?

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi,
As the designer of the Simpl A1, I can say that we did indeed do our research when designing the A1. In our testing, with our amp circuit, there was no discernible difference between using the line-out or headphone out. Obviously, many people have varying opinions on the headphone out vs. line-out debate and I can't hope to change everyone's opinion.

Thanks,

Jonathon Kennemer
Chief Designer
Simpl Acoustics

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Jonathon, if you are in the Los Angeles area, I would be happy to show you the difference between amping the headphone out and amping the line out of the iPod.

See ya
Steve

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bugless
Hi,
there was no discernible difference between using the line-out or headphone out.

Wow! Imagine if this is true.... All of us that bought the SiK Din and then the RAM Din and pocket dock, all of us who even went to the effort of making custom docks all to get a true line-out from the iPod...

I think that he must be mistaken otherwise we're all mugs (sigh!)

ZT

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 7
you're ignoring a couple things... one he qualified with his amp circuitry, which is fairly budget oriented... and two the bass falloff is impedance based, and not absolute...

jesse

edit
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Wow! Imagine if this is true.... All of us that bought the SiK Din and then the RAM Din and pocket dock, all of us who even went to the effort of making custom docks all to get a true line-out from the iPod...

I think that he must be mistaken otherwise we're all mugs (sigh!)

can't you decide for yourself? or did you even try comparing on your own... what difference does anyone elses opinion make?

Aug 9, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bugless
Hi,
As the designer of the Simpl A1, I can say that we did indeed do our research when designing the A1. In our testing, with our amp circuit, there was no discernible difference between using the line-out or headphone out. Obviously, many people have varying opinions on the headphone out vs. line-out debate and I can't hope to change everyone's opinion.

Admittedly my comment was a little inflammatory:

"When will designers actually do some research, instead of creating something that just looks good?"

However I still feel that the line-out issue is valid. Even if you look at the amp from a purely ergonomic/aesthetic view, the amp would have been more user friendly to have coupled with the ipod via the line-out socket.

Belkin's external power supply illustrates how this can be done:

Click Here

If the amp is designed for an iPod, why not take advantage of the interface the iPod offers. The last thing anyone needs is extra cables, even if all we are talking about is a small mini-to-mini.

Obviously these comments can't change the current design, but hopefully it will give you something to think about in the future.

Naturally I understand that the design process is influenced by many different factors, and I understand that budgetary and manufacturing constraints do have an impact. I would suspect that the reason for not using the iPod's line-out has more to do with these factors than sound quality.

The added complexity for the mould and use of an unconventional circuitry layout would no doubt add extra cost. This would filter down to customers and result in a higher retail price for the Simpl A1. When compared to other portable amps this may well price the Simpl A1 out of the amp market.

I hope the feedback is of some use.

Maybe a Simpl 'A2' could address the above concerns.

Here's hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back