MIRT Madness
Feb 25, 2004 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
I often wonder What local news is thinking when they air reports about these devices.
It is basically a big advertisement for people to go buy it.

I wonder if the folks at 3M even thought about the fact that figuring out how to emit the correct frequency with a infrared is not a difficult feat and would be taken advantage of in no time. Unlike active radar jammers, the FCC has no control over infrared lights.

I noticed alot of those sensors everywhere, but no indicator lamps or anything to alert that they are being used. Why would the fire, police, and EMT's want to keep people from knowing that they can change the lights? Having some kind of indicator would be a good way for the police to see if an unauthorized device is being used.

-Ed

Feb 25, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 15
I remember these geek girls used such a device in the movie Cannonball Run 3. It was hilarious.

How much is such a device anyway?

Feb 25, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 15
I think they either clamped down on fleaBay sales, or they're not popular right now. Someone's trying to hock on on fleaBay for $399.

Going rate on the "generic" MIRT device is $300 online.

3M's original device is sold for $1400+, and is installed permanently in the light bar of emergency vehicles.

The sale of these devices is illegal in most states, but the actual use of them is difficult to enforce, not to mention not neccesarily illegal to own. As in, it's not illegal to own a radar detector, but if you put it in your car and use it, it is. Nod nod wink wink from resellers.

It would be a simple matter of having a spread spectrum that is continually rotated or something, but I guess most cities are too lazy or incapable of making that upgrade. 3M probably never designed it be able to do so before.

Personally, I think every city that has implemented these devices has brought it on themselves, as I think it's better the old way. Sirens and Lights are on. People stop and let the emergency vehicles through.
rolleyes.gif
This scheme was clearly open for abuse from day one.

-Ed

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 15
"Sirens and Lights are on. People stop and let the emergency vehicles through."

A lot of people don't. People are selfish, not all but enough to create a real need for these devices for use by emergency vehicles. Minutes matter- it's sometimes the difference between life and death.

Mitch

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Every few months, I read or hear a story about MIRTs. The most recent one that I recall (before this latest one reported by Ed) was in October, 2003, when the alarm was raised in The Detroit News. As usual, they warn of traffic chaos, etc. That particular story made its way to Slashdot and everybody and their dogs wanted a MIRT. Once again, anarchy was promised, blah blah blah. But, I haven't seen or heard anything to indicate that.

I do vaguely recall a rumour about a normal motorist with a MIRT approaching an intersection and causing all four ways to show red lights. A lot of MIRTs just happen to work that way; they turn all four lights red so that the intersection itself is clear for emergency vehicles to pass through. That kind of effect just doesn't seem very useful to normal motorists, eh?
tongue.gif

D.

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
OK, what DIYer is going to build one?
evil_smiley.gif

This site has complete parts kits ($79.95 US) to build MIRTs. The schematics and parts list by themselves are available for $9.95 US.

Seems fairly cheap, actually. For the price of a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros, you too can screw up the traffic signals in your town!
wink.gif

D.

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 15
LOL, there's your DIY.

Perhaps it wold go nicely in a Hammond enclosure. Using all silver wiring and BlackGate Caps.......
tongue.gif

I think the 10hz Green light extender is safer and more useful.

I always wondered why lights seemed to be timed to catch you at ALL of the intersections unless you drive like a maniac, and many people do, in order not to be caught by all the lights.
rolleyes.gif
There's traffic planning for you. Dumbasses.......

-Ed

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
LOL, there's your DIY.

Perhaps it wold go nicely in a Hammond enclosure. Using all silver wiring and BlackGate Caps.......
tongue.gif

The Hammond enclosure is a great idea, Ed! If the cops get wise and pull you over, you can always tell them it's a headphone amp (a PIMIRTA
tongue.gif
).
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

D.

Feb 26, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 15
Of course, listening to headphones while driving is illegal in most states as well.
tongue.gif

PiMIRTA, LOL, that's funny.

It would be even funnier if the places you order MIRT's from ask you to submit your drivers license number. But they wouldn't make any money that way, now would they?
wink.gif

-Ed

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 15
My question is if it turns my light green, does it turn all the other lights red?

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Yes, it triggers a signal change. It's not always effective, because of various factors, weather, line of sight, dirty lens cover on the receiver, receiver malfunction, receiver deactivated, or police or fire dept person right next to you noticing your MIRT on your dash.

Of course some cities have high intensity lamps that light up when it's triggered, so everyone will know someone set it off.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back