miracle + clip zip + sensaphonics audio seal test = disappearing sub-bass
Sep 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Eudoxa

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi,

As the title suggests,  I've tried the sensaphonics audio seal test (the one where they play a 500hz tone and a 50hz tone, both simultaneous and alternating).  I need to verify that my logic is correct. As well, I need your help with deciding on an amp as consequence.

I've noticed that on my rockboxed clip zip at low volumes (-79 to -60) the 50hz tone with my miracles seems to just disappear in a relatively exponential fashion versus the 500hz which drops in volume relatively linearly as I drop the volume on the clip zip.  Turning the volume above the specified range brings the 50hz tone closer in loudness to the 500hz tone. 

So, I'm thinking that the problem is that there isn't enough power going to the miracles at those low volumes.  I think this would ultimately be solved with an amp (although acting more as an attenuator).  The procedure would be to set the clip zip to a high (maybe maximum) volume.  Then, the amp would bring it back to low volume.  This should preserve the 50hz tone at low volumes.

Is my thinking correct and, would something cheap (like a fiio e6) be enough?

I'm not looking for any change in signatures and the amp will be used mainly to attenuate, not actually amp.

Thanks.

Edit: I'll answer my own question when I receive an e11 soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back