Mint Sony D-321 for $110 makes sense?
Feb 6, 2007 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zweroboi

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a good source, preferably PCDP, to replace a so-so Panasonic 810 player in my office rig (see my sig for details).

I've came across a mint Sony D-321 PCDP, and seller wants around $110 for it. How do you folks think, is it a good deal nowadays?

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 10
Personally, I think it's a little bit on the high side of reasonable if it's mint condition working perfectly. That would be the unit only. If it's mint/perfect plus all the accessories and perhaps the original box then it's a pretty solid price IMO.

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 10
At $110 for a mint condition D-321 IMO is too high even if it came with all accessories, orginal box (in excellent condition), and papers. The most I'd probably pay for a mint condition (works flawlessly) D-321 with all of the mentioned conditions above would be $70. You can get a mint condition D-321 with it's carrying pouch, remote, and ac adapter for around $45 to $50 if you look hard enough and have the patience.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At $110 for a mint condition D-321 IMO is too high even if it came with all accessories, orginal box (in excellent condition), and papers. The most I'd probably pay for a mint condition (works flawlessly) D-321 with all of the mentioned conditions above would be $70. You can get a mint condition D-321 with it's carrying pouch, remote, and ac adapter for around $45 to $50 if you look hard enough and have the patience.

Please help me, I would like one!!

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 10
As I've mentioned previously, patience and persistence will land you a D-321 that's in excellent condtion and functions flawlessly. I've gotten my D-321 that's in excellent condition with all accessories and works in flawless condition without original box for $42 off ebay.

I've passed a few D-321 auctions prior to landing the one I currently because either the PCDP wasn't in great condition and had problems playing cds or price was more than what I wanted to pay. There will always be D-321s on ebay as it isn't one of Sony's harder to find or rarer PCDP but sound great.

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I've mentioned previously, patience and persistence will land you a D-321 that's in excellent condtion and functions flawlessly. I've gotten my D-321 that's in excellent condition with all accessories and works in flawless condition without original box for $42 off ebay.

I've passed a few D-321 auctions prior to landing the one I currently because either the PCDP wasn't in great condition and had problems playing cds or price was more than what I wanted to pay. There will always be D-321s on ebay as it isn't one of Sony's harder to find or rarer PCDP but sound great.

Okay cool, I asked because you mentioned a specific model for a fairly specific price, so I thought you knew of something.

By the way, back to my post about problems with eBay - this $45-$50 unit you mention was lost by me to that pesky fellow for over $200 when I gave up thinking that was higher than a D-321 should go for, and I should definitely win. I will continue to be patient, but as I have a D-311 and D-555 now it is not as much of a hurry.

I like the 321 because it offers very similar quality to the D-311, but includes ESP should you wish to turn it on.

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatsauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the 321 because it offers very similar quality to the D-311, but includes ESP should you wish to turn it on.

Granted, there is a lot of variability in older PCDPs. However, I have hadtwo different 321s and it is not comparable to the 311. The 311 is my favorite Sony PCDP ever made. It had a warm, detailed, and dynamic sound. The D-321 is also warm but not quite as detailed or dynamic. I thought is was rather bland.

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 10
Thank you for your replies!

I decided to buy this player. This is my first vintage Sony PCDP. I got very impressed with it's sound, and it looks awesome.

It is in absolutely perfect condition, without a single scratch, and I got it with the remote, 220V AC adapter, external battery pack, manuals, and carrying pouch. The pouch itself is heavily worn out, but I don't care about it anyway.

Granted that I will sell my Panasonic for about $40, it was a very reasonable deal for me.

Now it's op-amp rolling time to fine tune the sound!
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back