mint and 16ohm sennheisers
Feb 21, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 10
You will need a resistor on the output. I also doubt you will benefit much. Maybe a little, but I think you would be better off upgrading the headphones. A pair of E2Cs or something would likely be a more noticable improvment than a Mint.

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 10
well that sucks.
i had my mint parts all picked out. the mx 450s do benefit from amplification, though. i'm using them with a standard cmoy which does make a difference. i thought better amplification would help, but if you guys say that its like hooking up some circuit city speakers to a halcro amp then I'll have to reconsider and change my plans. i would like to hear from some people who have experience with these phones, though.

i was hoping to take this rig (which i use at the office) up a notch, and i was hoping to do it DIY. i would be willing to spend $60.00 or $70.00 on diy parts, but at this time i don't want to spend $60.00 or $70.00 to buy another set of phones. I guess i just want to build something.

I was going to build a new digital cable and a set of interconnects for this system because i am using junk cables at the moment. I want to do something else, though.

What do you guys recommend? the source (philips dvd player as transport) and dac (channel islands) are going to remain in the system... perhaps i can do some mods to the transport...

are there any mods that can take a cmoy up a notch or two? If i keep it I'm going to add rca jacks to it and different PS caps because i need ones with higher voltage ratings due to the power supply i'm using. what are some good ones, or doesn't it make a difference in a cmoy? I also have to change the gain because I can barely use the volume control. what else can i do while i'm in there? change the wiring? better input caps? are there any really good pots out there?

any recomendations would be appreciated!

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Better amplification almost always helps. I was was merely suggesting that a better use of money might be upgraded headphones. If you want to build a Mint then go for it. I would go that route before investing a lot in a Cmoy. While you are at it some starquad based DIY cables might be nice too.

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 10
If you do decide to use the MINT with those phones, try a gain of 2 (R3==R4), or maybe 1 (leave R3 out).

Feb 22, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 10
xin feng seems to think the sennheiser mx series benefits from amping. I'm not so sure though.

Mar 23, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
xin feng seems to think the sennheiser mx series benefits from amping. I'm not so sure though.

The thing about using an amp, even when you don't need the volume increase, is that it balances the load impedances from the source output, and seeing as an opamp has very high input impedance, you are actually getting the amp to drive the headphones, which they are better at then the original source. It is of my opinion that the Mint should be a much better job than the CMOY, seeing as sinking current into a 16ohm load might be a slightly tough task.

Mar 23, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 10
using my mx550's with a pimeta i got no benefit, theyre nice earphones straight up. the only pair i have that didnt benefit. even my sony earbuds are nicer amped.

Mar 23, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 10
IMO, Better amplication will benefit but very little that will make it almost useless. I've tried MX400 with a dual cmoy (sijosae) and it makes the sound tighter with a little more bass. I would suggest instead of investing a money for CMOY buy a better phones instead like canalphones. But then again if you prefer the sound of the MX series stick with it
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back