Minnesota summer (mini-)meet?
Apr 12, 2005 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Mr.Radar

Headphoneus Supremus
Although it looks like the May Minnesota meet with the Audio Society of Minnesota and HeadRoom is going to be a blast (especially with all the stuff HeadRoom is bringing) there are a few of us Minnesotan Head-Fi'ers who are unfortunately not going be able to attend it due to schedualing conflicts. That's what this thread is for. I would like to start organizing a mini-meet to take place sometime during the summer (June-August), and preferably on a weekend. Unfortunatley, as with the last attempt I made at organizing a meet, I do not have a place to hold it (my family's house is not only way too small but it's also an hour away from the southern suburbs of the Twin Cities and 2 hours from the northern suburbs). This meet should also be smaller than the May meet (which is huge by Head-Fi standards at about 50-100 people, with most attendees expected to be from the AS of M).

The first thing we need are people to attend (I'm pretty sure we've got this covered, there are already 13 people from Minnesota who've posted in the thread for the May meet and I hope that most will also be able to attend this meet as well, if it ever gets off the ground) and a location. Once we have those we'll need to decide on a date and start figuring out who will bring what (and soliciting business to lend us equipment).

...So, does anyone have a location we could use? It should be able to accomedate up to 20 people (I expect that there would be about 10-15 that show up, but room for more is always good) and should have enough space and outlets for setups. Or perhaps we should consider renting a location? It didn't seem like we had anyone who had space for (what became the) May meet, so renting would guarantee us a location, but it would also cost money.

Jul 7, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 25
I would be very interested and I could help organize. I think that we should shoot for sometime in late August as I would guess many of us already have plans and commitments for July. Weekends work well but we shouldn't rule out a late evening meeting either as sometimes, especially summer, that works for more of us. I favor renting a place, as I am not able to offer my house (much too small) unless someone is willing to host, that is always great. We could just ask for a nominal cover to help with the cost of renting. So with that let's see if anyone else wants to do it again, especially those of you poor souls who missed the great May meet. Outstaters should put in their two cents as well as to what would work for them. (I am orginally from Willmar so I feel for ya) Happy listening!

Cheers,

Jon

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 25
August works for me, as long as we can get a date down at least 2 weeks in advance (should be no problem). Does anyone have any idea of where to get some space? I've done some looking into hotel conference rooms, but every hotel requires you to request a price instead of just telling you what it would cost to rent it.

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 25
Well first I will just ask any one interested in this to post in this thread. Then, we can see how much ppl are willing to pay for cover if we get a hotel, then we can see what we can or can't afford, also, if you could post gear that you can bring (headphone, amps but also tables, soda whatever else we need).

But if it is just a few ppl (less than 10) I might be able to have it at my place in Uptown Minneapolis if ppl want to do that.

Aug 10, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 25
Old Pa is right, I mean I forgot about this thread and I posted in it!

So I will put this open invitation to anyone who would like to have a mini-meet...we can have it at my house in Uptown (South) Minneapolis.

Anyone interested just email me @ jonathan.hoover@gmail.com or of course post here and we can figure out a date. Look at my sig for what I will have there, nothing too out of the ordinary. It would be great to do it before school starts but if we can't we'll make it work. I will make open to anyone who wants to come (up to 10 people, I don't have too much space) but yes even Wisconsinites are welcome because Green Bay is no threat to the new Vikes!

Let's see where this goes!

Jon

Aug 10, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 25
Hey, hey, hey, I'm postin' an interest post. I'm free most weekends and most weekdays after 1 p.m. I'd be interested even if it was one other person and a parakeat...I need to get out more!
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #10 of 25
P the D -

I don't have a parakeet but you are welcome to come even if it is just me and my roomates (they aren't head fi'ers but neither are any parakeets that I know of)

So far I have 1, P the D, any other takers?

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 25
Just noticed I have 66 posts. That is an unlucky number so here is 67!

BUMP!

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 25
I would be interested. I will be done with work here (Appleton, WI) on friday and I will be back in the cities after that. I will be leaving again to school (Menomonie, WI) on the 4th of Sept, but it isn't that bad of a drive. Let me know when you guys pick a day. I might know a few others I could drag along.

Andrew

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 25
I'd also be interested as well. I live in New Brighton, but am usually in Chicago for school and such. I'm currently in Boston till August 21st taking a course at Harvard, but I'm free from then till September 10th or so, when I have to leave for Chicago again.

Unfortunately, most of my gear is down in Chicago. I don't have any of my equipment except for my pair of AKG K271 Studios and my Powerbook. My amp and various cables and such are down in Chicago in storage.

Let me know what date you guys are planning and such, and I'll see if I can leave the date and time open for the mini-meet.

Sounds fun.

Aug 15, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 25
I'd be interested. Pretty much any date before school starts would be fine for me, and any date on the weekend after school starts would work. Labor Day might be another good date.

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 25
I am glad to see there is interest. I think this will be fun. Just to throw this out there how do people feel about Sun the 4th of September? If that doesn't work, let us know what does. Thanks.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back