MiniVol - Simple DIY PGA2320 Volume Control
Feb 15, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #16 of 37
I'm actually really interested in obtaining the power supply (I'll buy it now if you have boards). If you ever do implement an LCD screen and remote control for the volume control, I'll put down cash for it as well. I'm interested in replacing the welborne attenuator in the preamp section of my integrated amp.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #17 of 37
I've got the firmware to a point now where I'd be willing to share it with interested parties, though it's not fully functional yet (no rotary encoder support yet). If anyone would like it for their own project or copies of mine, PM me.

I've also got 2 spare boards if anyone is interested, and can order more on an upcoming order if there's interest. $10 shipped. I can program a microcontroller or two for anyone that needs it.

If anyone is interested in the power supply I can order those boards too, $15 shipped.

Or rally the troops and I'll organize a group buy of boards and micros.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #18 of 37
Very nice project. I just dumped a microcontrolled Relay-volume-project because the developer decided finally to not share his PIC code.

So your Diy project sounds very interesting for me. A group buy should be posted on several forums (Diyaudio, headwiz and others).

I am in the hospital at the moment (climbing accident) and will come back to you after my "release" in 1 week.

keep up the work

best regards

Alan & Ayk

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvbjunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice project. I just dumped a microcontrolled Relay-volume-project because the developer decided finally to not share his PIC code.

So your Diy project sounds very interesting for me. A group buy should be posted on several forums (Diyaudio, headwiz and others).

Of course I plan to release the firmware binaries and source code when they're done. I expect to be done fairly soon with the firmware, but I've not had a lot of time to work on it.

Unfortunately you missed out on the order I made for a few boards, it wasn't enough for a real group buy. The gerbers are available though, and you can have them fabricated yourself for a reasonable price in small quantities by BatchPCB. That's all I did for the little bit of interest I got, since the quantity was too small to get a reasonable price from a production fab house.

May 5, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #20 of 37
I would like to provide an update for those who ordered boards and microcontrollers from me.

Unfortunately some personal issues came up and I've been unable to work on the firmware until today. The boards and microcontrollers have arrived, and everything seems in order with them.

Firmware made the first step in a while today; I fixed a major bug that was stopping me from going on, and implemented code to allow the increment/decrement buttons to be held down. At this point I believe everything is working well except rotary encoder support. I hope to work on that tomorrow; I'm running out of room on the micro so it might take some work - or it might not.

May 23, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #21 of 37
Long awaited good news: I have finally got all the features I wanted done and working in the firmware. I'm going to give myself the weekend to test it out a bit further, but it seems fine after limited use and development. If there are bugs at the moment they should only be in corner cases. I will try to test these over the weekend.

I did notice some faint clicking noise when manipulating the encoder. I believe this must be due to the PGA2320 switching gain, though it should be doing ZCD. It's not bothersome and I don't think I will be able to fix it.

What ended up in there:

- Rotary encoder fully working - I personally think this is the nicest input for this
- Holding down the button ramps the volume after 500ms every 100ms
- Mute ramps down and back up for a smooth transition. It is a soft mute that attenuates 36dB from the current setting

Once it's totally done and tested I will post sourcecode and binaries to the project website.

I have sent e-mail or PMs to everyone that ordered from me. If you didn't get one, please contact me as I don't have you in my file and you won't get anything.

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #22 of 37
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello everybody!

I'm a new user of this forum, I'm looking for some ideas about the AD1955 SPI Port.....
I mean, have one dac do myserlf with AD1955 and I'd like to use the SPI port for the volume control.
My idea is more or less to use one encoder to set the volume in my DAC but I'm not a good programmer and I'd like to find someone that can help me to write the software (I prefaire Microchip PIC because I know some basical function and I have all what I need to program the chip)

If someone can help me about the software I'll glad to take this help!!

L3000.gif

Thanks!!

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #23 of 37
We are about to release a simple volume control for controlling the volume of our DACs (Volumite). You could probably edit our source to make it work for the AD1955. It will use an Atmel ATiny, but all the tools are free. It will also use a pot instead of an RE, but you should be able to tweak the code for that as well if you want.

Source should be available in a couple weeks.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 37
You could probably use the MiniVol code with only minor changes. To set the volume in AD1955 you send two 16-bit words, with the 2 LSB used to select if it is left or right. The PGA2320 uses one 16-bit word with one byte for left and one byte for right. You'd need to modify the code so that the output word is correct, but other than that it'd be the same.

I dislike the PIC architecture, and the free toolchain is not nearly as good as the free tools for AVR. Using a pot as Brian suggests isn't a bad idea either, it gets rid of issues like storing the startup state and provides a more pot-like feel. Just make sure you build in some hysteresis somehow.

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #25 of 37
beerchug.gif

Thanks guy!!

this week A.S.A.P. I'll try to modify your code for the minivol.... I hope to be able
triportsad.gif

I know AVR Studio and Win AVR for code development... is it what I need?
I have AVR usb programmer and if required AVR JTAGICE mkII.... We use this in my company for the boards development...

Thanks in advance

Fabio
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #27 of 37
confused_face_2.gif

Hi guys,

I tried to modify your PGA software for my application with AD1955....

I understand the main part of the software but it's too difficult for me to modify....
I mean, I saw in your software a very nice feature about eeprom, save data about the level and so on but for my programming level it's out of my know...

Could you advise me about somehow to read for understand the SPI control?

Thanks in advance!

bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #29 of 37
Nice board error401.

I am going to try to build the minivol.
I download the latest version demo from Altium, and i get a lot of DRC error's.
So first i have learn, how to work with Altium
wink.gif

Rule Violations
Width Constraint (Min=10mil) (Max=100mil) (Preferred=25mil) (All)

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #30 of 37
Dredging up an old thread...hoping error401 is still monitoring...
Keenan,
How did this all end up? Are you happy with the sound? Did anyone else build it?
I'm thinking of making a 6-channel version. Saw your source code, seems quite sophisticated (event queue!) but thanks for making it available.

Cheers
Paulb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back