MiniRA1?
May 1, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 14
I think you mean Yulong and I believe it's a battery operated Grado RA1 clone. The internal circuitry of th RA1 is pretty simple and the cost of materials I think is like $10-$15.

May 2, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 14
If this is the amp on ebay, maybe it is not so cheap when you consider the shipping of about $23 and change on top of the price of the amp - about $29. Oh well....

May 2, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 14
Actually I read somewhere that a cmoy is better than the RA-1. If not, you could probably build a cmoy with nice and matched components to make it better than the RA-1 lol

May 2, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I read somewhere that a cmoy is better than the RA-1. If not, you could probably build a cmoy with nice and matched components to make it better than the RA-1 lol

It's silly to say that a Cmoy is better than an RA-1, because they are both using the same basic circuit - a non-inverting opamp. It's like saying a Toyota Tercel is better than a Toyota Tercel. You could build a Cmoy amp with better parts than are used in an RA-1 though.

May 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 14
This should be required reading for all headphone amplifier newbs - particularly those with Grado inclinations.

ecp.cc

Some people claim that the RA-1 is a fantastic headphone amplifier with the RS-1 headphone. I think they're delusional, because I've heard my RS-1 through a Cmoy and it was crap. And I don't believe careful component selection makes a big difference here. Generally speaking, ppamps don't like driving low impedance loads - and Grado headphones are low impedance. But people will believe whatever is most convenient to believe.

May 2, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 14
I am a total amp newb, but do have "Grado inclinations". That is totally weak what they sell. We'll see how this minira1 sounds. It is probably WAY worse than my CMoy, but maybe I'll use it as a gift and make a 2227-based CMoy for my portable rig.

May 10, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 14
This amp should be at my house this week. I'll let you know how it stacks up against my cmoys. I have made some nice 2134PA amps and I am interested to see how my lame purchase works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back