Minimum requirements for 192/24
Jul 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KettyKrueger

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I want to get into hi res audio but I don't want to spend an arm and leg.

I'm considering the Teac UD01 DAC/amp combo (may have got the model number wrong).

Would this, coupled with some nice headphones (just using Senn HD448 at present) give me all I need to hear an appreciable difference between 16/44 and 24/192?

I'll be using a Mac Mini as the source.

Many thanks

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi all,
I want to get into hi res audio but I don't want to spend an arm and leg.
I'm considering the Teac UD01 DAC/amp combo (may have got the model number wrong).
Would this, coupled with some nice headphones (just using Senn HD448 at present) give me all I need to hear an appreciable difference between 16/44 and 24/192?
I'll be using a Mac Mini as the source.
Many thanks

I don't think I've heard a lot about that combo around these parts, so I doubt you'll get any decent discussion on that particular unit. 

'Appreciable' difference between 16/44 and 24/192 is a debate all on its own. I would warn against getting caught up in worrying about the numbers. What are you trying to listen to that is at 24/192?

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply.

I've not heard any hi-res audio and I'm curious more than anything. Specifically, I'd like to listen to the 24/96 versions of Smashing Pumpkins remasters, as well as others (Rush's new album, Megadeth's 13, etc).

Any recommendation for a noob? Initially thinking of a DAC/Amp combo but could be pursued otherwise.

Many thanks

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I've not heard any hi-res audio and I'm curious more than anything. Specifically, I'd like to listen to the 24/96 versions of Smashing Pumpkins remasters, as well as others (Rush's new album, Megadeth's 13, etc).
Any recommendation for a noob? Initially thinking of a DAC/Amp combo but could be pursued otherwise.
Many thanks

Ah! You'll find most competent DACs will handily take on those resolution files. People can get so caught up on worrying about FLAC vs Mp3 high res vs. normal, they are arguing over something, that in my experience, is only a small change in sound to the larger picture of the equipment. 

What headphones will you be listening from? If you're open to other DAC/Amp combos, we can have some fun 
biggrin.gif
 Certainly it's nice to have a DAC/Amp in one box, but sometimes the all in one will end up limiting further expansion. Do you have an idea about a budget?

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks again for the reply.

Well, I think I'd like to buy things in stages, budget willing, rather than blow a load on everything at once.

The Little Dot MKIII looks like a beautiful amp and gets great reviews. Perhaps pair this with the Little Dot DAC and some HD650's? I could get the amp now and the 'phones later, and eventually the DAC.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Thanks again for the reply.
Well, I think I'd like to buy things in stages, budget willing, rather than blow a load on everything at once.
The Little Dot MKIII looks like a beautiful amp and gets great reviews. Perhaps pair this with the Little Dot DAC and some HD650's? I could get the amp now and the 'phones later, and eventually the DAC.

haha! Actually in another thread I'm having a discussion with a newcomer about little dot amps. This exact set up was one of my earlier stacks. I am still very fond of this combination. Really a wonderful and diverse set of units.

Usually I would say go with the cans, then work to an amp, then a source, but in your situation you have a decent set of cans to begin with, so you may start with the amp.

That DAC is also far underrated, and I think it should last you quite awhile :)

There are lots of other units, so you can browse around and see if you find any others.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 9
Good to hear that! I was contemplating this combo a few months back too but the Teac DAC caught my attention.

So you think my 'phones are good enough? They sound okay to me, could do with a little more clarity, wider soundstage but okay for listening in noisy places.

I can always keep the HD448s and replace them in future if I feel the need. Just stick with the MKIII and Mac Mini for now, then add the DAC.

Sound like a plan? Thanks again for your replies, much appreciated!

So did you have the MKIII and Little Dot DAC? Which 'phones did you use?

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Good to hear that! I was contemplating this combo a few months back too but the Teac DAC caught my attention.
So you think my 'phones are good enough? They sound okay to me, could do with a little more clarity, wider soundstage but okay for listening in noisy places.
I can always keep the HD448s and replace them in future if I feel the need. Just stick with the MKIII and Mac Mini for now, then add the DAC.
Sound like a plan? Thanks again for your replies, much appreciated!
So did you have the MKIII and Little Dot DAC? Which 'phones did you use?

No problems at all. I think the HD448 will do for now. The HD650 are really a large step up from them. The HD650 will have a soundstage that will make you go 'wow' with the MKIII.

I think that your current route sounds pretty solid. 

I did have the MKIII with the DAC. At the time my favorite cans were the AKG K701 and sennheiser HD650. Great combo with the HD650 :)

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks again for the reply. I've just ordered the MKIII and I'll see how I get on.

I do plan on getting the LD DAC and probably some HD650s, but that will be a few months off.

Just gotta wait for delivery now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back