Minimalistic headphones?
Oct 17, 2005 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yorkie

100+ Head-Fier
Well, i'm going through my seasonal audio shuffle, and this time the theme is minimalism.

I've been thinking about getting used HD580s/650s, or similarly priced Beyers, but something is turning me off; the gigantic size. My next thought was to head to the opposite end of the spectrum and use canalphones, I impulse purchased some E2Cs and all I got was a headache.

I want headphones that I can get lost in without shoving tubes up my ear or feeling like I have a pair of satellite dishes clinging to my head.

I'd also like to avoid spending more than 250$ on the cans lest I be forced to pawn off even more of my existing gear on head-fi.

As usual, thanks in advance, and curse you head-fi for eating up all my disposable income.

Oct 17, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Sennheiser PX100, since open cans seem to be okay for you

Do you think they give a satisfying musical experience?

I play piano so I have a somewhat discerning ear, but ultimately what matters most to me is an enjoyable presentation.

Oct 17, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 11
HF1 or KSC75 straight out of my MuVo... thats about as minimal as you can get.
I have a sportapro coming, so add that to the mix as well.

Garrett

Oct 17, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm beginning to think that for those of us who dislike canalphones, hi-fi and minimalistic are two mutually exclusive things. I might just take arspy's advice and look into the grado line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I have a sportapro coming, so add that to the mix as well.

I've ordered Sportapros from Amazon for running, but for sitting around I think I want something better.

Oct 17, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Another recommendation for the PX 100. Darling little set of headphones. Also if you don't mind it looking (in my opinion) ridiculous someone on these forums talked about modding the pads and I think the driver openings to make the sound better.

EDIT: The fact that you can fold them up into a pocketable case is another nice plus.

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie
Well, i'm going through my seasonal audio shuffle, and this time the theme is minimalism.

I've been thinking about getting used HD580s/650s, or similarly priced Beyers, but something is turning me off; the gigantic size. My next thought was to head to the opposite end of the spectrum and use canalphones, I impulse purchased some E2Cs and all I got was a headache.

I want headphones that I can get lost in without shoving tubes up my ear or feeling like I have a pair of satellite dishes clinging to my head.

I'd also like to avoid spending more than 250$ on the cans lest I be forced to pawn off even more of my existing gear on head-fi.

As usual, thanks in advance, and curse you head-fi for eating up all my disposable income.

Beyer 250-250s or 250-80's have a mid-sized profile, and are very involving closed cans. $147.50 at B and H Photo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Users who are viewing this thread

Back