Minimalist Metal
Jun 22, 2009 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for what I guess would be called minimal metal; metal with repetition and minimal variations yet still an emphasis on steadily building and progressing over time.

Im by no means looking for classical-music influenced metal, rather metal that takes its structural influences from classical minimalism and even minimal-electronica/techno.

The closest ive come to what im looking for is Meshuggah and ISIS. I know many would argue that ISIS is way too layered and dynamic to be considered minimal throughout, but it does have highly repetitive moments, that contain slight variances in structure throughout.

I hope that makes sense...

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 15
somewhat of an oxymoron, IMO... metal is all about being extreme
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 15
I agree with the Boris suggestion. Also worth checking out is another so-called "drone metal" band, Sunn O))). They have collaborated with Boris in the past. Sunn O))) will sustain a single chord for several minutes at a time, and are known for bone-crushing volume in their live sets. Despite the "drone" tag, their music does evolve over the course of a track, though at times the progress is best described as glacial.

They are a very polarizing group; people seem to either love them or hate them. I'm not really sure where I fall on that spectrum yet, but I've been listening to their stuff a fair amount and I find it fascinating, at least. If you like towering waves of sustained distortion, you might like them.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 15
Meshuggah minimalist? I disagree, their songs are so full of wierd polyrythms that its quite complex to listen at the times. Never heard of ISIS. You want minimalist with heavy repetion but still steady melody buildup, ambient blackmetal is good example mostly.

Coldworld - Melancholie (best listened while eyes closed and comfortably leaned back, much like listening ambient music)
YouTube - ColdWorld - Dream Of A Dead Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8q5UtkC40

Burzum - Filosofem. Dont click HQ buttons on first link as it seems to screw up the stereo sound for some reason.
YouTube - Jesus' Tod - Burzum (Filosofem)
YouTube - Burzum - Dunkelheit

Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbJ2xX8niuc

Im not sure if Summoning could be called minimalist (in the way as I understand that word) as it is actually very big and epic as hell, they are actually closer to neoclassical than metal nowadays. But its SO GOOD stuff that I will post a sample anyway.
biggrin.gif
*edit* Well now that I think about it, their old and midera stuff isnt too big sounding and more atmospheric. Added a second link.
YouTube - Summoning - Land of the Dead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBfkDH3F1GA

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 15
The prehistoric times in England born the brood of our grandfathers, Black Sabbath. This is the true protometal where all riffs, all beats and album looks as well as lyric concepts all came from. As you study at the alter of these times the true knowing of Atomic Rooster, Blue Cheer and all the other "less metal" created the foundation for this birth. As you hear Sabbath 1, Masters Of Reality, Vol 4, this is the minimal, as there is no other more minimal and never will be.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 15
Err... maybe.

+1 for ambient BM. I've only heard Wolves in the Throne Room, and they sound like exactly what you're after (and everyone says they're a Burzum ripoff, so by extension, so should Burzum).

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 15
An off topic comment, but I never understood why people label WITTR as Burzum ripoff, because I think it doesnt sound anything like them. Judas Iscariot in the other hand is clearly a Burzum clone, perhaps a ripoff, though it concentrates less on the ambient side than Burzum.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meshuggah minimalist? I disagree, their songs are so full of wierd polyrythms that its quite complex to listen at the times.

You can absolutley be minimal yet highly complex at the same time (hence the classical greats, i.e. Glass, Reich, Adams, etc.)

Ironically, this is the genius that is Meshuggah. Highly complex music that is repetitive yet constantly evolving-all while being quite minimal.

Minimal does not imply lack of complexity.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 15
I'm not sure Meshuggah can even be called repetitive because of the constant variation in each pass through of what looks/sounds to be the same continued structure but I cite this as an example of how things can count as minimal and be complex, as opposed to a claim that meshuggah isn't affiliated with minimalism

I'd suggest Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites

And do some exploring into doom metal perhaps

Shape of Despair - Sleeping Murder YouTube - Shape of despair - sleeping murder

Not exactly dedicated to the minimalism but for the most part there isn't really in metal unless you move toward the drone & noise areas of things

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 15
Try the band Sleep. I've heard pieces of it but never a whole album. Sleep's Holy Mountain is considered by same as the starting place for Stoner Metal.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 15
Would Jesu count as 'minimalist metal'? It's definitely got some nice 'drone' qualities going on....

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure Meshuggah can even be called repetitive because of the constant variation in each pass through of what looks/sounds to be the same continued structure but I cite this as an example of how things can count as minimal and be complex, as opposed to a claim that meshuggah isn't affiliated with minimalism

I'd suggest Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites

And do some exploring into doom metal perhaps

Shape of Despair - Sleeping Murder YouTube - Shape of despair - sleeping murder

Not exactly dedicated to the minimalism but for the most part there isn't really in metal unless you move toward the drone & noise areas of things

You are quite right with your definition above; a correction on my part is needed here. I incorrectly termed this as repetitive but it really should just be termed minimalism. There is repetition but as you say, there are variations within each pass-through, inherently making it NOT repetitive.

So to clarify, I guess im looking for what appears to be repetition, but really contains slight variations within as the song progresses/evolves.

As for your other comments: I wouldnt mind moving towards drone/stoner metal. It seems like the natural progression for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back