Minimal Radiohead
Feb 15, 2008 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Sean.Perrin

100+ Head-Fier
Feb 16, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 20
Interesting. I can see a lot of people liking this, actually, although I'm not wild about the Glass-esque alternating chords: you don't go very deep at all into minimalist technique (even Glass used additive process). Nevertheless, it sounds good, and I'm not sure that I would have guessed what it was based on without being told.

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I can see a lot of people liking this, actually, although I'm not wild about the Glass-esque alternating chords: you don't go very deep at all into minimalist technique (even Glass used additive process). Nevertheless, it sounds good, and I'm not sure that I would have guessed what it was based on without being told.

Thank you... you picked out exactly what I was trying to do!

I liked the idea of "Glassy" chords but because it was based on a song I wanted to put the overall sound and character first (more like Nyman). I also chose not to do more than the first couple lines of lyrics to keep it simple.

Thanks though, I'm glad that you enjoyed it... I was surprised, the Garageband piano actually sounds pretty good!

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 20
I'm listening right now and I am quite enjoying it. This is definitely my cup of tea when it comes to solo piano.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anybody else?

Very cool. I could listen to work like that all the time. I'm not a big fan of a lot of piano tunes, but I do like darker pieces such as your Radiohead cover. I guess I'm just saying I can't stand happy notes on a piano.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 20
Really quite enjoyable, a little dark even by Radiohead standards, but very effective. Nice work.

PS
I think I can hear a hard drive in the background.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool. I could listen to work like that all the time. I'm not a big fan of a lot of piano tunes, but I do like darker pieces such as your Radiohead cover. I guess I'm just saying I can't stand happy notes on a piano.
biggrin.gif

Interesting, I actually find it less dark than the original version. I think it sounds very uplifting and emotional... haha.

Oh well to each his own!

Cheers!

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Binaural Fusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS

Hmmm... I recorded it with the "Steinway D" setting in garage band... direct to MIDI. There is no real audio... so I'm not sure where that came from!

Thanks though, I'm working on a few others, I'll post them when they are done.

I actually may be doing a studio session with some of these in the summer (on a real steinway D). We'll see. Any requests?

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Binaural Fusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS

Hmmm... I think you may have meant the Pärt.There most definetely is a hard drive.

Are people seeing the right thing? It should be called Everything in It's Right Place...

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 20
Yeah, the hard-drive is there in the next track, but not in "Everything in its Right Place".

This is very cool. Get someone to play this for real with a little emotion and it could sound even better -- really, some temporal variation on some of the notes and it would be more interesting than most of what gets played these days.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... I think you may have meant the Pärt.There most definetely is a hard drive.

Are people seeing the right thing? It should be called Everything in It's Right Place...

Yes, sorry. I listened to more than one.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 20
This is spectacular- I like how you hint at the Radiohead arrangement but never really follow, but still communicate the whole song...
As was said before, I could listen to music like this forever. Would you have any other recommendations of more solo piano music like this? (Besides Pärt)...

(Truth be told, hearing this got me to finally go out and buy Kid A, which was something I'd been meaning to do for a while. Easily worth ten times what I paid, and I might have to go find it on vinyl now... Thank you, sir, as this has probably made this entire school year worth it.)

Also, if you're looking for requests... Satie? Gymnopædies?

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 20
That is great music. I really love the glassy chords. I don't know anything about minimalism, but the long cold chords left me shivering.
On a sidenote would you be willing to give me the chords for this? Or even the music?

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 20
Very nice stuff. Try to get a more Glenn Gould dry Steinway tone with eq. Don't hit the bass note so hard, comes off angry rather than melancholy. Like the sustain. A little drone somehow on Eb and F. When I get my new mandolin maybe I'll do some single note drone, way back in the mix, Radiohead hide such stuff. Like the solo acoustic piano stuff best, Fur Alina also very nice. The synth piece bass is too strong again harming the ambience. The space flying saucer echo thing might just be better as phase or flange or ring autowah. PS I could do not what you have done if I had to. Just what I was longing to hear in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back