Minima SE Class A H-Amplifier
Jun 16, 2008 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gliding Dutchman

New Head-Fier
Hi there

It has been a long time since visiting here and I thought I'd share my latest DIY project as it is of high relevance of this forum!

I first set out to understand, for myself, better how amplifier circuits work - you know, what makes them tick! So I asked help on various forums from people with a good technical understanding of these stuff and they kindly guided me to construct a basic amplifier. I had some solid-state devices in my parts bin which turned out to be a rather common amplifier device - the famous 2N3055 NPN transistor (I have lots of NOS Siemens units) - also have some BC550's at my disposal.

Whilst testing I used my headphones to check the circuit and so I decided that I can develop this tutorial project into a working unit. I needed a headphone amp as my stereo amp is very minimalist and doesnt feature a headphone amp. The circuit developed nicely with help from friends - I am very happy with the sonic results. To put is plainly the sound is the best I heard from my cans EVER!

Here it is - the (DEWAUDIO) MINIMA SE, CLASS-A, H-AMPLIFIER.

ClassASEV04amp-s.jpg

Here is my project exicuted on Veroboard. (I hate veroboard but it works for this job)

2008_06_16002s.jpg

The circuit is fully class A and the output transistors gets extremely hot!
Power is currently supplied by a 12v battery but I am working on a propper regulated PSU for highest fidelity.

Later I would like to do a popper PCB as well in a neat cabinet.

(NOTE: Current transistors used in the Veroboard unit is SJE5300's from Motorola mounted in old CPU heatsinks for a LAN switch)

Cheerio
Dewald

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 14
I mean the schematic, but I only see 3 transistors on the board.

oh wait, I'm blind. a few are TO-92.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is both channels, or one channel?

This is a stereo unit. FLTR: Regulator (where LED stems from), Right channel (signal in by green wire), Left channel (signal in by white and green speckled wire).
cool.gif

Pure class A - single ended. High heat, low output. Sweet but brilliant sound!
wink.gif

The schematic is for a single channel - obviously...
tongue.gif

D

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 14
Low output... would this be good for low impedance, high-sensitivity phones?

It seems like an interesting and inexpensive amp, I'm curious about building one. =D

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Low output... would this be good for low impedance, high-sensitivity phones?

It seems like an interesting and inexpensive amp, I'm curious about building one. =D

Hi there

Well, it drives my AKG K240 (600 ohm) phones very nicely. Detail is amazing!
You will however need a well regulated PSU as to prevent buzz from mains ripple - or just use a battery.

Note: R6 needs to be a high power resistor - it gets very hot!

Go ahead and tell me what you think... I am very impressed with this brew!

D

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 14
K240 sextetts are pretty hard-to-drive 'phones. This may not work so well for my Audio-Technica fetish...

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 14
I'm anal about having a lot of usable range on my volume knobs, though. It may work well but if the knob at 9 o'clock is deafeningly loud, then I'll get annoyed with it.

What sets the gain on this amp?

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Oh yes.. there is lots of volume range with this amp. Infact, my current prototype has no volume control and is connected directly to my PC soundcard (Creative Live). There is a comfotable range to adjust the volume.
I am also finiky about propper volume control and this unit gets my approval.

You can exchange the listed LOG POT on the schematic for say a 100K unit or just use a propper external pre-amp. The choice is yours. Also you can up the gain by upping the supply voltage I think - a few resistors must then simply be adapted as well.

Firstly, try the amp as it is then do the adjustments.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back