minidisc question please help
Dec 9, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 18
yes, but only when u record in SP (stereo) mode

Dec 10, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 18
It's kinda cheap though. It still takes a while, I think it records at 2X, but it sounds okay, but not as good as real SP (I've got the E50, the predecessor to the E25...it uses gumsticks and is thinner
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 10, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 18
Do you mean
1: "Can I transfer songs to the MZ-E25 using Net MD software" or
2: "Can I play minidiscs on the MZ-E25 which I recorded using a Net MD recorder"

If 1: No. You need a Net MD recorder (MZ-N1, etc)
If 2: Yes, as long as you choose the SP mode when making the recording in Sonicstage/OpenMG using your Net MD recorder.

Sorry if 1: is obvious. But there was a guy in front of me at a Sony shop who was asking this over and over again, asking since his MP3 player could be updated via USB, why the Minidisc player he bought didn't have that facility. To those who may have just got into MD especially with used gear, I realised the difference between a player and a recorder might not be entirely clear to all.

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 18
If you don't know how to switch it...I have OpenMG. Go to "Tools" then "Options", then go to the "external media/device" tab, it says "MD Settings"...click...then pick "Stereo recording" (NOT LP)...it defaults to LP everytime you start (or at least mine does) so you'll have to do this every time.

Dec 14, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 18
Sorry Ive been busy

Thanks for the help ,but as of right now its on the for sale section ,I bought an ipod and have found out that this thing is alot easier to deal with when you have a 400 disc collection .
Thanks again

Dec 14, 2003 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 18
lol Bangraman...

Have you been on the Ayingebreau (sp?) again?

I really do now think that minidisc as a format is about as good as dead...
frown.gif

Dec 14, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Good choice sir
wink.gif

Alas poor Minidisc, I knew him Horatio... a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy...

salas.jpg

Wow bangraman how about sharing some of that with me .
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 18
I see these more often than is necessary over at the T-Board. However, it just ain't true......It would have been nice for Sony to have made the Net MD platfrom operate in a much more efficient manner, though. Sad.

Dec 17, 2003 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
I see these more often than is necessary over at the T-Board. However, it just ain't true......It would have been nice for Sony to have made the Net MD platfrom operate in a much more efficient manner, though. Sad.

I think that's what's killed it. The smartest thing to do would have been an intermediate player/recorder which had a dual codec in the form of an MP3 dec (i.e. it wouldn't encode MP3) and ATRAC codec... ATRAC would go through Sonicstage, MP3 wouldn't. Functioning as a USB drive would have been even better, and that's one of the things the Sony didn't take advantage of... If the Net MD had this capability, they would have left the flash MP3 players in the shadows.

It's small, lightweight and handy... 160MB of removable storage is actually quite good if you could get stuff in and out easily... But it's probably the least easiest thing to get music on at this stage, even if you factor in Net MD. Then there's the 132K ATRAC limit on Net MD which cripples one of the major theoretical advantages of MD... Better sound quality. I think even Sony realises that the MP3 HDD players will rule the roost and that MD is even struggling to compete with some flash players these days. If Sony/Sharp doesn't improve the functionality of their product, with the Korean manfuacturers rapidly polishing up their currently lacking design skills, we can expect the lead to pass to them on all fronts.

And you see, it's also about how the manufacturer see the user. Apple said "we're going to try for a balance of what users want and what the industry wants" and they've done it beautifully. iRiver said "we'll listen to the users... and cram everything they want into our product" and have definitely achieved that. Sony said "you're all potential criminals and we're going to treat you as such" and have done that beautifully too.

Dec 17, 2003 at 10:07 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by tmesis
I guess not everyone is familiar with Shakespeare's great tragedy Hambone.

Oh damn. Was it? I always thought it came from his other great work, McBaine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back