MiniBox F
Feb 12, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ufanco

500+ Head-Fier
Just a mini review on this unit.. and a few questions

I received the unit 2 days ago so hasn't much burn in time on it.

Paired with Iaudio 7 and Audéo PFE first impression was that the amp was a nice improvement over stock sound of the iaudio7. Being that this is my first amp really can't comment on it compared to other amp. I do have to say I was very pleased by what I heard.

First thing I noticed was that it opened up the sound of the music. I was able to listen at the same volume but music now has much more detail than with out amp. There is some hiss at higher volume but after readjusting the iaudio 7 eq I was able to clear it up. Guess the best comment I can give is I found myself listening to my portable unit over home system the last 2 days.

Now for the bad news on build of unit. The one I received had issues with the jacks for the line in and also for the headphones there just not a tight fit and seems low quality. I can not listen to music on the go cause of this (cuts in and out with even the smallest movement). I already have contacted seller and debating at this point rather to get a refund or exchange.

Before I make a decision on this figured I'll ask here if anyone else had build issues with the minibox f or D (since I think they share sames connections).

Like I said I am please by the sound but the jack connection on this unit scare me off a little. I'm already having to pay to ship a unit back after 2 days and rather go with a refund if there issue with build on these amps.

This leads to my other question any suggestion for other amps in the price range of $70 to $125 if I decide to go that route.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 7
I suggest getting a used mini^3 or even seeing if you can find a new one professionally built for just a touch more than your budget. dont get an ALO double mini^3 one though; IMO they are a waste of extra money for very little difference to a regular mini^3 with probebly an extra 10-20$ worth of parts for an extra 130-140. they are a really nice amp and solidly built (especially a mister X one) build quality has never been a strong point of the minibox amps

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 7
After reading forums more kinda leaning towards a ibasso t4 as much as I am enjoying the sound of this amp the connection issue really bothers me.

If anyone has heard both these amps would love to hear you thoughts.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 7
I picked up a Minibox F a while back and just got a T4. I gave the Minibox F to my son. The T4 SQ is much more engaging and soundstage is much wider. By far the T4 is the way to go but the price is a little more.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks 4 sound for the feedback the ibasso t4 does look like a really nice unit.

I guess thou what scares me is the few complaints on hiss of these units. I was also a bit turned off with there shipping rates to the USA. According to there site it cost $22 dollars to ship it maybe its just me but that seems really high. I was all set to buy it but till I saw the shipping
frown.gif

I might just keep need to keep a eye out for a used T4 or hopefully ibasso would have a sale with free shipping or something in the near future.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 7
No real problems with the inputs/outputs on my Minibox E+, but it's the 2nd gen model (with toggle switches, not red push buttons, which is the newer build, I believe)). I also don't take mine on the road, and use it mainly as an at home amp. I use the cheap little E5 for travel when I need an amp (which isn't often, since I use the W3s or now the Monster Turbines and they are plenty powerful and don't improve all that much with amping).

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 7
tstarn06,
I was comparing the MiniBox F not the E+. I believe the E+ is in a different class of portable amp than the F.

Ufanco,
As for the hiss. Mine has absolutely no hiss. It looks like from the posts these were isolated to a few that went out. Yes, the shipping is a little high but I got the T4 in 3 days DHL to San Francisco from China. The more I use the T4, the more I like it as my favorite small portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back