Minibox-E/PK1 Combo: Anyone try it?
Oct 12, 2007 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ckhirnigs113

Headphoneus Supremus
As many may have noticed, there is a sponsored thread selling the Yuin PK1 and Minibox-E combination for $249. This is a great deal for someone interested in both the amp and PK1. I have never had a headphone amp, so this would be my first purchase.

My source will be a 5th gen. iPod Video through the lineout and a 1st gen. Shuffle. As far a headphones go, I have the Koss A250, KSC35, KSC75, and AL/Ety im716. I think they would all benefit from amplification.I would love to add an excellent earbud to the mix in the form of the PK1, but I would just like to see if the Minibox-E is a good match.

Thanks for the help, CK

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 39
The PK1 is a very good earbud, more can like in it's presentation than other earbuds. I am very happy with mine.

You can't go wrong with Head-direct's 30 day return and Fang's customer service is excellent.

I plan to buy the YuinPK1/Minibox combo for my son as a xmas present so I am glad Fang extended the sale till Nov.30. on his site.

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 39
Its been a while since I tried it and I didnt really focus too hard on that setup but from what I remember, it was an amazing portable setup. It was very neutral and clean sounding. I think it might be the best deal for a portable setup

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its been a while since I tried it and I didnt really focus too hard on that setup but from what I remember, it was an amazing portable setup. It was very neutral and clean sounding. I think it might be the best deal for a portable setup

Well that's encouraging to hear. I thought it sounded like a really good deal. From what I've been reading recently, the Minibox-E seems like a tremendous deal all by itself. Thanks, CK

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 39
jinp6301, I see you have im716's. Did you get a chance to use them with the Minibox-E? I'm thinking the impedance switch will come in handy. Any info would be great, because I know these im716's are power-hungry. Thanks, CK

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 39
I haven't heard the PK1's but I have the Minibox-E and it's a very surprising amp.

It's makes my DT880's sound incredible.

The IC that comes with it is pretty good too.

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 39
I have tried the MiniBox-E and I love it. If you do a search you will find two threads, one just for the MiniBox-E and the second for a 31 portable amp review in which the MiniBox-E ranked quite high.

I have also listened to the PK-1 but not at the same time and found them to be a great alternative for those who do not want to use IEM's.

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 39
Has anyone had the chance to compare the Minibox-E to the new Headsix. They are practically the same price, so what is the consensus? Thanks again, CK

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 39
I tried a minibox and both PK1 and PK2 earbuds at the International meet in April. I don't know if it was the minibox-E or not. Anyway, I felt that it was an ok sounding amp and a good deal for the money. It had a lot of problems with complicated music passages and sounded quite congested when the music became complicated.

Of course, I preferred the PK2 to the PK1 and bought it. So you can factor that tidbit in when reading this.
wink.gif

Edit: Ok, I looked at pictures on the head-direct site. It was probably a minibox-D that I was listening to, but I still can't be sure.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried a minibox and both PK1 and PK2 earbuds at the International meet in April. I don't know if it was the minibox-E or not. Anyway, I felt that it was an ok sounding amp and a good deal for the money. It had a lot of problems with complicated music passages and sounded quite congested when the music became complicated.

Of course, I preferred the PK2 to the PK1 and bought it. So you can factor that tidbit in when reading this.
wink.gif

Edit: Ok, I looked at pictures on the head-direct site. It was probably a minibox-D that I was listening to, but I still can't be sure.

I doubt it was the Minibox-E as it flawlessly handles instrument/vocal heavy music IMO

I haven't tried the Headsix but from the pictures I've seen it appears to be around twice the thickness of the Minibox-E.

It's case is also metal and it's rechargeable.

(This is all based off of about 40 hours of burn in, it should be even better in the next 100-200 hours
580smile.gif
)

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt it was the Minibox-E as it flawlessly handles instrument/vocal heavy music IMO

I haven't tried the Headsix but from the pictures I've seen it appears to be around twice the thickness of the Minibox-E.

It's case is also metal and it's rechargeable.

(This is all based off of about 40 hours of burn in, it should be even better in the next 100-200 hours
580smile.gif
)

minibox-e is totally different from D.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Oct 13, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes I understand, I was explaining that the Minibox-E didn't suffer from the issues that he listed and came to the conclusion it must have been the Minibox-D.

I've never seen the D version but I own the E version.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually the more I think about it, it wasn't a portable amp at all but a small home amp, similar in look and size to the Meier Headfive. The O-1 on your site looks like what I remember.

Sorry, I'm getting older and my memory isn't what it once was. I apologize for any confusion.
frown.gif
I like the PK2s a lot.

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 39
I'm interested in knowing if the im716 benefits heavily from the Minibox-E. Would the impedance switch make a noticeable difference in the sound on these phones? Thanks, CK

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 39
My guess is that, activating the impedance switch as well as the bass boost, you'll have much more detail throughout the spectrum, and some slamming bass. I'm planning to get a Minibox-E as well, when I gather the funds, for my Altec iM716... at least, if I don't like the Triple Fi10 Pro enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back