Mini3 verification of capacitors pos/neg
Mar 29, 2010 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BlizzofOZ

100+ Head-Fier
I built a mini3 more than a few months ago... and just need some verification on 2 of capacitors and their pos/neg.

C2 solid dipped tantalum capaictor
This has a strip across the top and then bends at a right angle down, toward one leg. The legs are the same length... I know the strip going down tells what polarity... but I'm not sure which. Is it pos or neg?

C4, C6, tec multilayer ceramic
I believe ceramic capacitors are non-polarity, correct? What is throwing me is on AMB's boards, there is a + mark on each end on the C4, C6, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

This has a strip across the top and then bends at a right angle down, toward one leg. The legs are the same length... I know the strip going down tells what polarity... but I'm not sure which. Is it pos or neg?

Normally positive but it's always a good idea to check the datasheet when you have a question like that.

Quote:

C4, C6, tec multilayer ceramic
I believe ceramic capacitors are non-polarity, correct? What is throwing me is on AMB's boards, there is a + mark on each end on the C4, C6, etc.

Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors are nonpolarized, the polarity indicators on the Mini3 board are there in case you wish to use polarized capacitors in those positions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back